Tyus Battle’s ‘Herculean effort’ in 2nd half leads Syracuse over Boston College, 77-71

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Tyus Battle hangs in the air for a layup.

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — As Tyus Battle lined up free throws with less than a minute to go, a contingent of Syracuse fans chanted. 

“Ty-us Bat-tle, Ty-us Bat-tle,” the orange-clad supporters let ring through Conte Forum, about a four-and-a-half hour drive from the Carrier Dome. 

In a game that threatened to get away from the Orange early and became tight again late in the second half, Battle put it out of reach. 

Syracuse (15-6, 6-2 Atlantic Coast) was carried by Battle in the second half to key a bounce back win in ACC play over Boston College (11-8, 2-5) on Wednesday night, 77-71, in Conte Forum. Battle scored 21 second-half points and finished with 31 to go with six assists. It was Battle’s highest point-total in a regulation game this season. 

“They just couldn’t stop Tyus in the second half,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said, “and that was the ballgame.” 

Boston College seemed to have the hot touch early, breaking it open to an early 15-6 lead. But that’s when the Orange offense came alive. Elijah Hughes hit a 3 from the left wing off a hand-off from Battle. Then another — moments later from the same spot, again off a pass from Battle, that cued a Hughes air guitar motion. 

Battle joined in with a drive left and a scooped shot in with his right hand. The Orange held the lead with a 14-0 run. 

Saturday, the Orange couldn’t solve Virginia Tech’s help defense and double teams. But Wednesday, Battle took it upon himself. He split defenders and drew fouls to negate their impact. Then, in a distributor role, Battle set up back-to-back 3s from Buddy Boeheim before setting up Marek Dolezaj for a triple and hitting another himself.  

“If he has it in his hands, somebody else can’t screw it up,” Boeheim said of using Battle at the point.

sports-gfx-1-31-18

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Director

Syracuse was 75 percent of the way to its Virginia Tech point total at halftime, and Battle wasn’t done. 

He rose up and hit a long 2-pointer out of the halftime break to open the second-half scoring. And while BC answered back again and again, leading Boeheim to yank off his jacket, Battle wasn’t losing Wednesday. 

After a Syracuse timeout because of back-to-back BC 3s, Battle sized up his defender with a crossover before swishing a 3 from the right wing. The next time down the floor, Battle glided underneath the rim for a righty reverse lay in. 

“He’s a phenomenal player,” Buddy said of Battle. “He’s once-in-a-lifetime player I get to play with.” 

[Text Wrapping Break]After Syracuse lost at Virginia Tech, Battle said “the bottom line” is that he has to be more aggressive. He hadn’t looked to take over that game early, and by the time he came out of halftime looking to provide a spark, the Hokies’ lead was already too large. 

Battle didn’t let that happen Wednesday.  

“Just to keep on attacking, that’s really it,” Battle said. “Keep on attacking and try to find my shot … They put a couple different guys on me. I was just trying to be aggressive.” 

He scored 10 in the first half, and when BC seemed to have an answer in the form of a 16-7 second-half run, Battle had a bigger one. The Eagles tried to guard him one-on-one with minimal help. Battle laughed after the game when he was asked if he liked that. SU’s star took full advantage. 

A 3 from the top of the key, that barely nicked the back rim as it fell. Then another 3, same spot, swish. 

“He steps back, and it’s a hard shot to stop,” Boeheim said. “He’s pretty quick, and if you come at him really quick, he’ll get by you. He’s played well all year, and that’s what he does.” 

As Battle jogged back down the floor after the second 3, he hopped up-and-down a few times, and shook his head side-to-side. 

“I didn’t even notice I did that,” Battle said. “I probably did do that. I’m a competitor. I like to get going like that.” 

[Text Wrapping Break]Oshae Brissett followed those 3s with a drive right, finish through contact and the bonus foul shot, and SU was back up nine. Battle missed another 3 by a couple of inches, because his right foot was on the line. He’d settle for a swished 2 and four claps as he came back down the floor. 

In the end, it was all Battle. And that was plenty. 

“We needed a Herculean effort from Tyus to win this game,” Boeheim said.