3 stories to watch out for in the coming weekend

The 19th annual Martin Luther King Jr. food and clothing drive will be held in Syracuse.

Here are three news stories from around the city of Syracuse to keep an eye on this weekend.

Women’s March

Syracuse’s third-annual Women’s March will be held from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday. It will begin in front of the Everson Museum Plaza and move toward the University United Methodist Church for an indoor rally.

“Join us to celebrate the diversity of Syracuse, the home of vibrant immigrants, refugees, and our diverse population,” the event’s Facebook page reads.

The Women’s March began in 2017 in response to the election of President Donald Trump. The purpose of the marches, which are held throughout the United States and the world, is to create social change through the political power of diverse women, according to the organization’s national website.

More than 200 people attended last year’s march that began at Laci’s Tapas Bar in Syracuse.

MLK Celebration food drive

A food and clothing drive will be held for the 19th year on Monday in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. United Way of Central New York and the Greater Syracuse Labor Council host a day of service each year, LocalSYR reported.

Items requested include winter outerwear, warm blankets, diapers and prepackaged food items. The drive will run from 8 a.m. to noon at the Southwest Community Center in Syracuse.

“If we can help our neighbors from something that we have at home, what better way to do it.” Common Council President Helen Hudson told LocalSYR.

Justice in Health conference to be held at SUNY Upstate

SUNY Upstate Medical University will hold their second diversity in medicine conference on Monday, Jan. 21.

“Health Justice at Upstate: Shifting the Power” will consist of three breakout sessions with multiple panels in each, according to Upstate’s website. The conference will feature a keynote address from Asteir Bey and Aimee Brill, co-directors of Village Birth International.

This will feature 14 panels including the keynote and include panels on the health issues in prison, refugee health and the health effects of inequality, per Upstate.

“Going into healthcare, I almost feel immobilized because doctors don’t normally seem to have much power in terms of creating change,” said an unnamed 2018 participant on the Upstate website.

Registration for this event is free for all participants, The Stand reported.