Tyus Battle’s game-winner lifts Syracuse to win over former conference-foe Georgetown

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Tyus Battle hit a shot in the waning moments of the game to lift the Orange to a win.

Inside the Carrier Dome, it was silent. The crowd watched as Tyus Battle’s pull-up jumper made its way through the air and toward the hoop in the final seconds of the game with the Orange down one.

Swish.

The Carrier Dome erupted.

The cheers wouldn’t subside until minutes after Georgetown’s last-second heave came up short. Somehow, Syracuse (7-2) erased a 15-point deficit to comeback and take down its former Big East rival Georgetown (7-2), winning its fifth straight, 72-71, on Saturday afternoon in front of 24,082 fans. It was a whirlwind of a game, one that saw SU shoot 7.1 percent from 3 in the first half. One that saw a 17-4 run quickly propel the Orange back into contention. One that was magically orchestrated by the hands of Battle.

“He’s made a lot of big shots,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “Probably as much or more than anybody we’ve ever had here in late-game situations.”

It began early for Battle. In his freshman year, Battle nailed a corner 3 to upset Clemson. A year later, he tallied nine-straight points to stave off Maryland and drained the late 3 to pull SU within two in an eventual win over Georgetown in last year’s matchup between the two teams.

The first half of this year’s matchup was one to forget for Syracuse. The Hoyas used a packed-in defense and forced the Orange to beat them via the long ball. It was a smart strategy, considering SU is among the worst 3-point shooting teams in the NCAA.

“The first half, Georgetown was more physical,” Boeheim said. “They got up in us, we ended up shooting more difficult 3s.”

120818_mbbvsgeorgetown_alexandramoreo-25

Syracuse shot 7.1 percent from 3 in the first frame. Battle himself, missed a pair from beyond the arc. He had just one basket — an offensive rebound and lay-up off a missed free throw — and shot 1-for-8.

Then, in the locker room during halftime, with Syracuse trailing by double digits, Boeheim “challenged” him. He told Battle that the team cannot win with the way he was playing. He had to take over the game.

“I can’t repeat all the stuff,” Battle said with a smile. “It woke me up and got me going. That’s why he’s a Hall of Famer.”

Walking out of the tunnel, Battle changed his mindset, he said. Focus on transition buckets. Get to the free throw line more. Attack. Once he did that, the rest of his game would follow.

Right away, Battle came out firing. First, it was a corner 3. Then it was a drive to the hoop, drawing a foul. He sunk both free throws. A quick stutter-step and drive to the basket, and Battle converted an and-1. He was even triple-teamed and nailed a baseline jumper.

All of a sudden, the Orange propelled themselves into the game.

Anything Georgetown threw at the junior, he had an answer for. Battle was unconscious. In the second half, he shot 7-for-10, including a 50-percent clip from 3.

“A lot of people might fold in the position that he was in,” said freshman point guard Jalen Carey, who made a clutch 3 late in the game. “Lot of pressure on him. He didn’t play well in the first half, but it’s how you respond to the criticism and how you respond to what coach said.”

More coverage:

Syracuse had relied on Battle heavily last season. If he didn’t score 20-plus points per game, it often would result in a loss. This season, when he struggled, other players were there to pick him up.

He had just eight points in the season opener against Eastern Washington. Oshae Brissett carried the Orange with 20 points and eight rebounds. He had just two points against Northeastern. Again, Brissett, carried the burden, putting up 21 points and 14 rebounds.

But this time, there was nobody to help out. If Battle didn’t come alive, Syracuse was dead in the water.

“I’ve been doing it since I picked up a basketball,” Battle said. “I love last-second shots, pressure situations.”

120818_mbbvsgeorgetown_alexandramoreo-24

With 37 seconds left, that high-pressure opportunity came for Battle, a chance to give the Orange the lead. His jumper missed and Georgetown controlled possession.

Nearly 25 seconds later, Jagan Mosely drove toward the hoop. He lowered his shoulder and trucked Marek Dolezaj. Offensive foul.

Syracuse had another chance. Battle took it.

Swish.