Teresa Dahlberg to step down as dean of SU’s College of Engineering and Computer Science

Dan Lyon | Staff Photographer

Dean Teresa Dahlberg said she would work to address students' concerns about diversity at a public forum last spring.

College of Engineering and Computer Science Dean Teresa Dahlberg will leave Syracuse University in March to take a position at Texas Christian University.

Dahlberg will start her job as vice chancellor and provost at TCU starting March 1, 2019, according to an SU News release. University administrators will appoint a search committee to find a new dean in the upcoming weeks, per the release.

“I’m incredibly proud and grateful to have served the ECS community and am confident that the faculty, staff, alumni and students will continue to elevate ECS and its positive impact on the world,” Dahlberg said in the release.

She was selected as dean of the engineering college in May 2015She recently increased hiring in the college, creating 26 new faculty lines through the Invest Syracuse and Cluster Hiring initiatives, per the release. She also oversaw the creation of online master’s programs in computing and brought the Invent@SU invention accelerator program to campus, according to the release.

In the wake of the Theta Tau controversy, Dahlberg hosted public forums for the college. She said she would work to address students’ concerns about diversity and inclusion. During the fall semester she appointed a diversity dean and created a diversity council that is conducting an audit of the college. 

SU’s chapter of the professional engineering fraternity was suspended and later expelled in April for videos Chancellor Kent Syverud has called “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities.”

She previously served as the chief academic officer for The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York City, and she was also dean of the Albert Nerken School of Engineering.