Syracuse’s next opponent: What to know about Georgetown

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Georgetown goes up for a dunk in Syracuse's close win last year.

Two former Big East rivals will square off in the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon, when Syracuse (6-2) welcomes Georgetown (7-1). Both the Orange and the Hoyas enter on four-game win streaks. SU most recently downed Northeastern, 72-49, while Georgetown beat Liberty by 10 on Monday.

Here’s what to know about the Syracuse-Georgetown matchup ahead of Saturday afternoon.

All-time series: Syracuse leads, 50-43

Last time they played: In an overtime thriller last December between Syracuse and Georgetown, the Orange used a late-game push to pull away, 86-79 at Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. Tyus Battle made a pair of 3s and scored eight points in the overtime period — scoring just two points less than the Hoyas did as a whole.

Battle finished the game with 29 points while Oshae Brissett added 25 points and 14 rebounds in the win last December. Frank Howard shot 9 of 18 with 19 points and nine assists. All three players return when the two take the court Saturday. 

The Georgetown report: Georgetown has been solid during its non-conference slate, losing just one of its first eight games heading into Saturday afternoon. It’s a relatively young team that boasts two seniors and three underclassmen in its starting lineup.

The offense is led by senior Jessie Govan, the star of the Hoyas team. He dominated the Orange last year, scoring 21 points and grabbing eight rebounds. The Hoyas also feature freshman James Akinjo, who has started all eight games and averages 14.1 points and 4.9 assists.

Georgetown’s offense is slightly above average in most offensive categories, ranking 90th in offensive adjusted efficiency and around No. 100 in both 3-point and 2-point field-goal percentage, according to Kenpom.com.

Defensively, Georgetown ranks 99th in adjusted defensive efficiency, yet it struggles mightily covering the 3, ranking 249th in defensive 3-point percentage, per Kenpom.com. Opponents shoot 35.5 percent against the Hoyas, an area that could prove the difference maker in tight contests.

How Syracuse beats Georgetown: Syracuse needs to continue the efficient offense it showed on Tuesday against Northeastern, when the Orange scored over 70 points despite Battle and Howard scoring two points apiece.

There are times when the Orange rely on the 3 too much, which could actually help on Saturday, because of Georgetown’s struggles to defend the long ball.

Battle and Elijah Hughes have been SU’s best shooters from beyond the arc and have proven to be strong finishers inside the paint. If they can spread the floor and open up shots for each other — as well as Brissett and Buddy Boeheim, among others — SU should have no problem putting up 70 points yet again.

The biggest threat to Syracuse is Govan, who is very physical in the paint. The Orange may need to double team him near the basket or stand tall when he tries moves in the post. Govan made the game close last season and could lead the Hoyas to another close call on Saturday.

Stat to know: 19.5 — Jessie Govan averages 19.5 points per game, the highest among all Syracuse and Georgetown players

KenPom odds: Syracuse has an 88 percent chance to win, by a projected score of 79-66.

Player to watch: Jessie Govan, C, Senior

As touched on earlier, Govan will prove the biggest threat for the Syracuse defense. The Hoyas will get the ball to Govan often, and the 6-foot-10 senior is much more physical than SU’s big men. He shoots nearly 60 percent from the floor and has even featured a 3-point shot, where he shoots at a 47.6-percent clip.