on campus

INTERACTIVE: Here is what construction will happen on campus over winter break

Katie Reahl | Staff Photographer

All-gender restrooms will be installed in Crouse College and the Shaffer Art Building.

Syracuse University will move forward with construction on numerous projects across campus throughout winter break. Several projects are expected to be completed before the end of break or the end of the spring semester, and others will continue into the next several years.

Crouse College

All-gender restrooms will be installed in Crouse College. The project is expected to be completed over winter break.

Shaffer Art Building

All-gender restrooms will also be installed in Shaffer Art Building. They are expected to be completed by the end of winter break.

Bird Library

The Center for Undergraduate Research, a new campus resource, will be set up on the second floor of Bird Library. Construction on the project began in late November and it is expected to be complete by the end of the fall semester, Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala said in a campus-wide email in November.

Several campus resources will relocate to Bird. The LGBT Resource Center will temporarily relocate to the library’s 5th floor in January. The Disability Cultural Center and the Office of Multicultural Affairs, both currently located in the Schine Student Center, will move to the library following Commencement in May 2019. A suite on the 5th floor will be improved to make room for the offices.

All three resources will eventually be located in the Schine Student Center following renovations to the student center. The renovations are part of SU’s Campus Framework, a 20-year plan for the physical campus. The LGBT Resource Center will move from its location on the 700 block of Ostrom Avenue, where student housing is expected to be built.

National Veterans Resource Center

Construction of the National Veterans Resource Center’s outside steel structure will continue throughout winter break. The foundation for the $62.5 million project was finished in November, and the building is expected to be completed in spring 2020.

Pedestrian and vehicle traffic could be affected by the construction, Sala said in a campus-wide email in November. A single lane of traffic will be open on South Crouse Avenue between Waverly Avenue and Marshall Street until spring 2019.

Archbold Gymnasium

Archbold Gymnasium is set to reopen as The Barnes Center at The Arch next year. Pouring of concrete foundation walls is ongoing in Building C, and mechanical and electrical work started on Building B of the new center, Sala said in a November email. The Arch will accommodate a gym along with health and wellness resources including Health Services, Recreation Services and the Counseling Center.

Hendricks Chapel

HVAC improvements for Hendricks Chapel will continue from the fall semester into the spring 2019 semester and are expected to be completed by May 2019. The improvements will bring air conditioning to the chapel.