Frank Howard’s return to full health a necessity as Syracuse nears conference play

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Frank Howard, pictured against Northeastern, missed the first four games of the season.

Since Frank Howard’s return from a lower left ankle injury, one that has included a pair of second-half collapses that led to Syracuse losing back-to-back nonconference games for the first time since 1975, one thing remained constant: Howard was still not 100 percent healthy.

The senior point guard’s ankle held him out of the first four games of the season, as Howard returned to the 2-2 Orange in late-November. Yet he wasn’t polished and still struggled, lacking some of his skills that developed the year prior. The explosion in the lane toward the hoop. Facilitating the fast break. His revamped mid-range jumper.

“If Frank Howard was ready from day one,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said, “we’d be a whole different team.”

As games and practices passed him by, Howard inched toward full health. He was “90 percent” after SU’s loss to Buffalo on Dec. 18, and was finally “healthy now,” Boeheim said the following game against Arkansas State on Dec. 22. With St. Bonaventure concluding SU’s nonconference schedule and with Atlantic Coast Conference play approaching, Howard will need to fine tune his game, which has become a necessity for a struggling Syracuse (8-4) team.

“Every game’s a dog fight,” Howard said on Dec. 18, on his recovery process. “Having those type of games really helps my progression. … Any day now until I feel 100 percent.”

Despite shooting 1-for-5 in his season debut on Nov. 21 against Colgate, SU’s offense saw its ball movement and, subsequently, its offense improve. In his debut against the Raiders, Howard jumped in front of passes and started fast breaks that SU normally didn’t have before, finishing with three steals.

Howard added five assists, and Syracuse finished with a then-season-high 13 assists in the win.
He also began to fortify the top of the 2-3 zone and became the defensive weapon he was last season, when he led the ACC with 1.88 steals per game.

The addition of Howard to the lineup, despite the minutes being limited — 19 minutes against Colgate — proved the Syracuse desperately missed its top guard. Freshman point guard Jalen Carey, dealing with his own nagging injuries, showed the ability to score. But his struggles running the offense proved costly when SU lost two-straight at Madison Square Garden, highlighting Howard’s importance. Carey missed Syracuse’s last game on Dec. 22 and his status is unknown heading into its game against the Bonnies.

howard

Tony Coffield | Contributing Photographer

Howard’s knowledge of being an effective starting point guard came with experience. From his four years, Howard’s not as flustered by a double team or full-court press. He knows what to do in transition and isn’t afraid to take the ball to the basket — or pass it when defenders close in mid-drive. Syracuse’s offense, ranked 255th in effective field-goal percentage according to Kenpom.com, needed a floor general desperately in its first four games. Even if Howard was not 100 percent healthy.

Four games after his return, against Northeastern, Howard stole the ball four times. On one sequence, he intercepted a pass during a full-court press, followed by another steal and quick outlet pass on the left to Elijah Hughes, who finished the layup through contact. But something was missing as the Orange struggled at times against a non-Power 5 opponent.

“Frank just can’t get his legs going,” Boeheim said after SU’s game against Northeastern on Dec. 4. “His legs die. He can’t get his jump shot there. He’s running the team by moving the ball, but he’s not back fully shooting the ball.”

While the shot hasn’t formed, Howard’s addition to the Syracuse offense has materialized to others. The Orange saw an almost five percent jump in field-goal percentage and 13.1 percent increase in 3-point percentage while turning the ball over 2.4 fewer times per game.

Howard’s scoring ability after his injury first appeared during the first half against Buffalo. He totaled 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting, including a pair of 3s and a steal in that frame. Howard led the Syracuse offense to a first-half lead against a ranked opponent while only committing one turnover.

While Howard struggled in the second half, his attacking nature was evident. He began to look like the player he had been last season.

With Howard Washington seeking a medical redshirt and the status of Carey still in question, it’s even more important for Howard to return to the dominant floor general he was last season.

“Now I’m at the point where I feel like exploding to the rim,” Howard said on Dec. 18. “Turning the corner better. … Feel comfortable in the lane. Finishing is the next part.”

Developing Howard’s last few steps getting to the basket, including finishing, have become crucial. ACC play begins on Jan. 5 at Notre Dame, the deadline when Syracuse has to “get better,” Boeheim said.

And it’ll start with Howard.