Elijah Hughes bounces back with versatile offense in SU’s win over Northeastern

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Elijah Hughes had 17 points, four rebounds and three assists in Syracuse's 72-49 win over Northeastern.

Syracuse’s first possession set a precedent for how Elijah Hughes’ night would go. As the Orange worked the ball around the top of the key, Hughes crept up toward the wing.

Frank Howard passed the ball to Hughes, who in one motion, caught and released the ball as two Northeastern defenders closed on him. The ball rattled around the rim and in.

It was a different showing from Hughes inside the Carrier Dome who recovered from a subpar performance three days prior against Cornell. Against the Big Red on Saturday, Hughes only scored 4 points. But on Tuesday, the junior used a combination of threes and physicality inside the paint to create offense for Syracuse (6-2) in its 72-49 blowout win against Northeastern (4-5).

“Guys are going to have that game,” said freshman point guard Jalen Carey, who finished with four points and three assists. “It’s a part of basketball. It’s how you bounce back.”

Since SU’s season-opener, Hughes has been a model for consistency. He became a top-scoring option alongside Oshae Brissett and Tyus Battle, whether it was using his deep range or quickness near the rim.

But three days ago, against Cornell, Hughes said he wasn’t there mentally, his aggressiveness nearly absent. Prior to Saturday, Hughes had attempted eight-plus attempts from the field in every game, only once not reaching double-digit points. He took three shots and missed both of his threes.

Hughes tried to change his approach in practice as an opportunity to bounce back quickly came, he said. Northeastern opened Tuesday with a 2-3 zone —  which suits Hughes’ sharpshooter style — and the junior transfer took advantage.

His strong performance did come with a few hiccups, though. After his first three, Hughes missed a wide-open shot from beyond the arc a few plays later. Then, in his next opportunity, he traveled after the Orange’s full-court press forced a turnover.

But the following play, Howard intercepted a pass and shot the ball up the court to Hughes, who finished through contact in transition, converting the and-1 for SU.

Hughes’ basket broke a tie and gave Syracuse a lead it would never lose the rest of the way.

Aggressiveness was Hughes’ main focus heading into the Northeastern matchup, something SU head coach Jim Boeheim told the forward he lacked on Saturday night.

“He was more aggressive,” Boeheim said. “He got to the basket, got up the court.”

The second half began eerily similar to the first, with Hughes’ nailing a three on the Orange’s first possession. This time it was from the corner.

Boeheim mentioned that Syracuse quickly broke down Northeastern’s 2-3 zone, prompting a defensive scheme change — a 3-2 zone — from Huskies head coach Bill Coen.

Hughes’ opening three out of the break was his lone second-half deep shot, as his other two baskets came inside the paint. He didn’t settle for threes and Hughes attacked the basket, something which he failed to do against Cornell.

“Just trying to pick my spots better,” Hughes said. “Get to the rim and shoot when I’m open for three.”

Hughes missed just one second-half shot, and finished the game shooting over 50 percent from the field. His success on the floor was not replicated from SU star Tyus Battle, who shot 1 for 7.

It resembled a trend that was seen against Cornell. Hughes scored just four points, while Battle picked up the slack and added 26. On Tuesday night, Syracuse’s offense was still able to score 70 points despite Battle’s two points. Hughes’ 17 points were a big reason for that.

In warmups before the game, Carey said he could tell Hughes was going to have a strong showing. “You can see it,” Carey said. There was an added focus because Hughes knew the margin for error was slim. Back-to-back weak performances would be alarming.

“I was a little frustrated,” Hughes said when thinking of his performance against Cornell. “But I can’t dwell on the past.”

That would never come. Hughes kept attacking and didn’t let up. As Syracuse began to pull away midway through the second half, Carey took control of the offense at the top of the key. He flung a pass toward Brissett in the post who was quickly quadruple-teamed.

Brissett was able to get the ball back to Carey. The Huskies defense tried to readjust, but Hughes was left wide-open on the baseline. He stood near the right low block with his hands out.

A no-look pass from Carey to Hughes slipped by the Northeastern defenders. The Huskies’ Bolden Brace contested the shot, running into the mid-air Hughes. But he finished through contact.

There was little emotion from Hughes, who high-fived his teammates and stepped to the line. He didn’t need to show it. Cornell was in the rearview mirror.