SU Athletics

Check out what Syracuse teams are doing over break

Liam Mooney | Contributing Illustrator

While students go home for break, sports teams are still in season.

Most students leave campus by Dec. 15, yet, four Syracuse teams and its athletes will stay at Syracuse University as their seasons continue. Here is what to know about the 19 total Syracuse sporting events taking place both on campus and on the road.

No. 20 Syracuse (9-3, 6-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) football earned a berth in the Camping World Bowl in Orlando, Fla. against No. 16 West Virginia (8-3, 6-3 Big 12) on Dec. 28. The Orange’s nine wins are its most since 2001, when Dwight Freeney and the Orange went 10-3, ending in a 26-3 victory over Kansas State in the Insight.com Bowl.

Following a 4-0 start to its season, SU dropped two-straight one-score games to then-No. 2 Clemson and unranked Pitt. Unlike head coach Dino Babers’ first two seasons, where the Orange went 0-8 in November, the Orange went on another four-game winning streak. Even after a 36-3 blowout to No. 3 Notre Dame, SU finished the regular season ranked No. 20.

The Orange will face off against West Virginia, who finished fourth in the Big 12. But the Mountaineers will be without senior quarterback Will Grier and senior offensive tackle Yodny Cajuste who are preparing for the 2019 NFL Draft. WVU comes in as the third-best passing offense in the FBS, but its defense, ranked 74th, will have to combat an Orange offense that averages more than 40 points a game.

Men’s basketball

Following Tyus Battle’s game-winning shot over Georgetown on Dec. 8, No. 25 Syracuse (7-2) will play seven times between Dec. 15 and Jan. 12, including its last four nonconference games of the season.

SU lost two consecutive games to Connecticut and Oregon early in the season in Madison Square Garden. But after a 2-2 start, the Orange haven’t lost since, including a win at then-No. 16 Ohio State.

The Orange will host No. 14 Buffalo on Dec. 18, a team they beat 81-74 last season behind Oshae Brissett’s 25 points. SU will also play against Old Dominion, Arkansas State and St. Bonaventure before SU starts its ACC slate on Jan. 5 at Notre Dame. The Irish won the lone meeting last season on a last second Rex Pflueger layup.

Syracuse will also play Georgia Tech and Clemson at home the week before the spring semester begins.

Women’s basketball

Syracuse (8-2) women’s basketball won’t have to wait long after the conclusion of the semester to play its next game as it hosts Niagara on Dec. 17.

A few days later, SU will travel to St. Petersburg, Fla. for the St. Petersburg Shootout. Syracuse will play Duquesne on Dec. 21 and the University of Central Florida the following day.

The Orange will open ACC play two days before the men when they travel to Clemson, S.C. on Jan. 3. Two days later, Syracuse will face off against Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. Last season, the Hokies defeated SU twice, including a 15-point win in the second round ACC Tournament.

The Sunday before classes begin, Syracuse will host North Carolina. The Orange are 5-1 against the Tar Heels since joining the ACC in 2013 with its lone loss coming in 2016.

Ice Hockey

Unlike SU’s other active teams, the Syracuse (4-14-1, 4-3 College Hockey America) women’s ice hockey team will have a 13-day layoff after the end of the semester before it returns to the ice.

Between Dec. 28 and Dec. 30, the Orange will head to Montreal to face Nipissing, St. Francis Xavier University and Concordia in the Theresa Humes Invitational. The tournament comes after the Orange were swept by No. 10 Colgate and No. 1 Wisconsin in consecutive series since returning from Thanksgiving break. In those four defeats, Syracuse was outscored 24-4.

When Syracuse returns to the United States, it will travel to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Rochester Institute of Technology. SU played the Tigers on Nov. 16, Syracuse gave up four goals in the final nine minutes and lost 6-4 at home.

In years past, Syracuse has improved after winter break. Since the 2015-2016 season, Syracuse holds a 30-19-1 record after the new year. Last year, the Orange used its second half run to reach the semifinals of the CHA tournament.