city

Veterans honored during ceremony in downtown Syracuse

Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

New York state Assemblyman Bill Magnarelli speaks at Sunday’s Veterans Day ceremony.

A bugler began Syracuse’s annual Veterans Day ceremony on Sunday with a call to assembly before city and county officials discussed renovations to the Onondaga County War Memorial, located at the OnCenter Complex, gave distinguished veteran awards, played music and recognized military veterans who attended.

The renovations to the War Memorial, presented by Deputy County Executive Bill Fisher and County Facilities Commissioner Archie Wixson, cost more than $1 million and include an “All Who Served Club” as a lounge for veterans.

“The War Memorial is really a staple of our community. It serves as a venue for sporting events, cultural performances and community gatherings,” Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh said. “It also serves as a visual testament to our nation’s military members who have served this country on all of our behalf.”

a1_embed_coreyhenry_sp-2

Mayor Ben Walsh apologized for road blocks in the area that made it difficult for some people to get to the ceremony at the OnCenter.
Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

Two different choirs and a pianist performed during the ceremony. Songs included lyrics such as “you’ll never walk alone,” sung by the Spirit of Syracuse Chorus, and the official songs of each branch of the U.S. military.

Four awards were given during the ceremony: Veteran of the Year, Veteran Business, Friend of Veterans and Support of Veterans. Marvin Triggs, Jr., who served in the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War, was named Veteran of the Year.

veterans-lounge

Abby Fritz | Digital Design Editor

Triggs has worked with Onondaga County Veterans for nearly 50 years, helping hundreds of veterans “get back on their feet,” according to a short biography in the ceremony’s pamphlet. He also volunteers running bingo at the Syracuse Veteran Affairs Medical Center.

Joanie Mahoney, former Onondaga County executive, was awarded the Friend of Veterans recognition. Mahoney dedicated her award to Mary Bergen, an American Gold Star Mother who died in October.

State Sen. John DeFrancisco (R-Dewitt) received the Support of Veterans award, which a representative accepted for him at the ceremony. XCL Unlimited, a veteran-owned small business, which specializes in construction management, general contracting and maintenance, won Veteran Business of the year.

a1_embed_coreyhenry_sp-3

A firing squad presents in downtown Syracuse on Sunday.
Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

The ceremony ended with music as Bishop Carl Clark said a prayer and sang in honor of veterans.

About 150 people tried to gather for the ceremony on Sunday morning outside the OnCenter, but they were delayed by the Syracuse Half Marathon route as thousands of runners blocked off streets and constricted parking downtown.

In a speech at the ceremony, Walsh said the congestion was likely his own fault. He was “cursing the road blocks” trying to find a way to get to the ceremony, which was held within a two-minute walk of the half marathon finish line, he added.

Everyone in the crowd, many of whom were senior veterans, laughed and agreed. The half-marathon had some veterans from the Korean and Vietnam Wars walking more than one-third of a mile in freezing temperatures, including through all race participants, to attend the Veterans Day observance.

“I sincerely want to apologize to everyone who was inconvenienced,” Walsh said. “This ceremony is the most important thing happening today.”