National

Syverud calls for SU review of new sexual assault guidelines

In New York state, “Enough is Enough” law requires all schools have additional sexual assault policies, in addition to policies outlined in Title IX.

Chancellor Kent Syverud has asked several Syracuse University groups to review recently proposed changes to Title IX guidelines, which would give additional protections to students accused of sexual assault, according to a letter to the SU community released Tuesday.

The Chancellor’s Task Force on Sexual and Relationship Violence, the Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion, and Resolution Services and the Office of the University Counsel will review the potential changes, Syverud said in the email.

If the new guidelines are implemented, sexual assault accusers may be cross-examined by the accused’s lawyers, and schools would be required to hold live hearings. The definition of sexual harassment would only include “unwelcome conduct” that denies a person equal access to an educational program or activity.

The new guidelines would change the precedent of Title IX — a part of federal law, which all schools that receive federal funding are subject to, that prohibits discrimination based on sex. The new guidelines will be law once finalized after 60 days of being open to comment from the public. Title IX has been in place since 1972.

These changes come about a year after Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos rolled back Obama-era rules regarding sexual harassment, including a requirement for schools to use the lowest standard of proof.

New York’s “Enough is Enough” law requires schools in the state to adopt additional sexual assault policies, not outlined in Title IX, such as adopting a campus sexual assault “Students’ Bill of Rights” and implementing ongoing student training.

Syverud did not provide details as to what action would be taken after the review is complete, but he outlined several resources available to students such as the Title IX Office and Hendricks Chapel.