on campus

SU to spend $1 million annually on new research center

Bridget Slomian | Presentation Director

Cathryn Newton, a professor of earth sciences, will lead the new center until it is fully staffed.

Syracuse University will spend $1 million annually to support a new Center for Undergraduate Research, the university announced in a news release on Wednesday.

The center is funded by Invest Syracuse, the university’s $100 million academic fundraising initiative, according to the release. The center will report to Michele Wheatly, vice chancellor and provost, and John Liu, vice president for research.

Undergraduates in all of SU’s schools and colleges will participate in faculty-guided research through the center, according to the release. The center is also designed to increase access to undergraduate student research, undergraduate conferences and training opportunities, per the release.

Cathryn Newton, a senior adviser to Wheatly and Chancellor Kent Syverud for faculty engagement, led the effort to bring together ideas from Student Association, the University Senate Research Committee and the Renée Crown University Honors Program, according to the release. Newton will oversee the center until it has a full staff.

The initiative fulfills the goals of Syverud’s Academic Strategic Plan, an academic vision for the university, by increasing support for student research. The ASP was introduced in May 2015 and focuses on areas such as the student experience, research capacity, innovation and the university’s commitment to veterans.