From the Kitchen

New La Patria Café brings authentic Latin flavors to Syracuse

Courtesy of La Patria Cafe

The La Patria Café menu features dishes with Latin flavors, such as Caribbean and European influences.

UPDATED: NOV. 29, 2018 6:23 p.m.

This holiday season brings the gift of Latin cuisine to the Syracuse food scene with the new addition of La Patria Café. The restaurant, opened earlier this month, features classic Latin dishes and traditional flavors. But for the restaurant’s owner, Clara Cedeño, and chef, Amy Thomas, they hope to put their own spin on timeless dishes.  

Growing up in a traditional Dominican family, Cedeño said she developed a strong fondness of food from a young age. Through her time spent around friends and family in the kitchen, she said she gained more appreciation for the art of sharing and preparing food. 

“The kitchen was always the heart of our family,” Cedeño said. “The holidays were always special — it was where all the women were in the kitchen making everything from scratch.” 

When working in the information technology business, Cedeño found herself losing passion for her job. She decided to get her MBA from Syracuse University, but it did little to re-energize her interest in the field. After graduating last December, Cedeño left the IT business and found her café building. 

La Patria Café is situated in a quaint little neighborhood that Cedeño likened to a small business hub. The area is a blend of businesses, cafés, restaurants and residential homes.  

Much like the neighborhood, Cedeño relates her café to her “home.” She said she hopes patrons will feel as if they are at a friend’s house, having a meal and enjoying themselves.   

For Cedeño, the café’s combination of chic looks and traditional comfort has found the happy medium for its ambiance. The eatery is lined with pieces and decorations Cedeño and her family have found during their travels — and many more holding both sentimental and familial value.  

“Everything here has a tie to something,” Cedeño said. “Our logo is based off of a painting here that features a lizard. The lizard or gecko has a strong prevalence in Latin culture, so I wanted that to be in our logo.” 

The café’s name, La Patria, also holds special significance.  

“La Patria was something I always heard growing up as a kid, when my family would refer to the Dominican Republic,” she said. “To me, it symbolizes something more because it means homeland.” 

Chef Thomas has been cooking for 13 years and said she is excited to be a part of La Patria as it makes its mark on the city. To her, the food and the challenging nature of restaurants are what keeps her motivated.  

“Restaurants are an ever-evolving and changing animal, so it has always been fun for me to learn the skill and be adaptable enough to change at any given moment,” Thomas said. “Cooking here at La Patria has definitely brought about that energy that I love.” 

Cedeño and Thomas said they want to give patrons meals that have a personality of their own, while also not steering too far from the menu’s Latin roots and flavors. While the café will incorporate Latin flavors into their mix, the menu will also introduce European flavors from Spain and Portugal.  

La Patria, they said, has a lot in store for customers to try, but they expect the empanadas to be an ongoing staple.  

“Our empanadas are in the Dominican style, but we take a little liberty with being creative in how we treat the filling,” Thomas said.  

La Patria Café is welcoming both the upcoming holiday season and icy weather with open arms. Thomas hopes the restaurant will be a meeting place for families by accommodating bigger gatherings and more private dining. 

“The holidays have always meant rekindling those old connections, especially with family and friends who don’t always live in the same place,” Thomas said.  

The café will also sport a festive look, with decor that “will speak to the holidays,” as well as bringing a warmth and coziness to visitors. Cedeño and Thomas agreed that “it’s all about family.”

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, La Patria Café was said to have alcohol on their menu. The Daily Orange regrets this error.