VPA alumnus Kevin Chernett to share his career at Live Nation in lecture

Live Nation executive and Syracuse University alum Kevin Chernett will deliver a presentation to students of the Setnor School of Music.

Like many music lovers, Kevin Chernett regularly attended concerts as a teenager. Now as the Executive Vice President of Global Partnerships and Content Distribution for Live Nation, Chernett’s career is rooted in improving the live music experience for future generations.

“Live music is something that brings friends and families together and provides an emotional charge that nothing else does,” Chernett said.

Chernett is a Syracuse University ‘91 alum of the College of Visual and Performing Arts’ communication and rhetorical studies department. He will speak as part of the Setnor School of Music’s Soyars Leadership Lecture Series and will give a presentation to students on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 6:30 p.m.

Chernett said that part of his role at Live Nation requires him to travel constantly, giving him the opportunity to experience a variety of concerts in different parts of the world — which he said is his favorite part of his job.

“I find it extremely rewarding and fascinating how many passionate communities there are following the smallest bands to some of the biggest artists out there,” Chernett said.

Many aspects of Chernett’s current work deal with connecting people from all over the world to live music experiences through virtual and augmented reality. Chernett said he doesn’t see the live music industry disappearing anytime soon. The digital age, for example, may allow for more discovery of music in other parts of the world, as fans across the globe gain access to live shows happening elsewhere.

Despite traveling around the world, Chernett said he has prioritized remaining engaged with SU as an alum. He said he has “always has had a passion for Syracuse” and tries to showcase his love for the university by giving back to its students. He’s helped place SU students in internships with Live Nation, as well as returning to campus to speak with its students.

Todd Herreman, an associate teaching professor of music industry and technologies in the Setnor School of Music, is this year’s director of the lecture series. Herreman has 20 years of experience in the music industry himself, having previously worked with Prince, Brian Wilson and Michael Jackson, among others. Drawing from his own background in the music industry, Herreman commended Chernett’s career and his contributions to Syracuse.

“To get to where he is, not only the title Executive VP, but in a company with the scope and solid background of Live Nation, obviously he knows what he’s doing and has done it very well. He’s really a driving force in their company,” Herreman said.

Both the Bandier program in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the Setnor School of Music in the College of Visual and Performing Arts provide programs of study about the music business.

Imraan Farukhi, an SU professor who teaches communications law to Bandier students in Newhouse, said the perspectives SU alumni share with current students through these lectures series are essential.

“I think it’s invaluable because for one, it’s first-hand contact with people who have gone through the same experience at SU and are now establishing their careers,” Farukhi said. “I’m a big believer that the networking aspect of Bandier is essential because that is part of the lifeblood of the entertainment businesses, so being able to leverage connections through SU has a lot of impact on the success of students.”

Chernett will speak in room 007 of the Whitman School of Management on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 6:30 p.m.