Syracuse police to enforce parking rules during SU football games

Syracuse football has two home games in the next two weeks.

City police officers are tightening enforcement of parking regulations around Thornden Park after an uptick in illegal parking during Syracuse University football games, Mayor Ben Walsh’s office said Tuesday.

Game attendees have increasingly been parking illegally in neighborhoods near SU and in Thornden Park, per a news release. Syracuse Police Department officers in charge of traffic management before and after games will be sent out to ticket illegally parked cars during games for the remainder of the season.

Syracuse Common Councilors, including Susan Boyle and President Helen Hudson, voiced concerns about illegal parking at a Sept. 24 Common Council meeting. Greg Loh, director of city initiatives, said at the meeting that he would bring up the issue in his regular meetings with university and city police officials.

Parking violations on University Hill include not following alternate side parking, using handicap spaces without authorization, blocking driveways, parking within 10 feet of a fire hydrant, parking in a way that prevents passage of public safety equipment and parking in areas marked as off-limits with traffic barrels. Fines for illegal parking range from $30 to $105.

This weekend, SU football plays the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the Carrier Dome on Saturday at 12:20 p.m. This weekend is also Orange Central, SU’s annual homecoming, where more than 2,000 visitors will be on campus for various events and activities. The following Saturday, during Family Weekend, Syracuse takes on North Carolina State in the Carrier Dome.