Technology Column

SU’s NEXIS lab fosters student innovation

Ally Walsh | Contributing Photographer

The New Exploration in Information and Science lab, or NEXIS, is a creative space for students to work on technological projects.

Cutting-edge scientific projects don’t always have to be developed by billionaires or the world’s technology powerhouses.

Innovation and the development of new ideas is possible right here at Syracuse University, in Hinds Hall’s New Exploration in Information and Science lab (NEXIS). Students in NEXIS have access to a host of programs developed by companies such as Microsoft, Unity and Oculus.

Students’ endeavors shouldn’t be discounted. Particularly, with resources like the NEXIS lab, there are fascinating scientific advances underway at SU.

“We don’t take direction from a specific faculty member,” said Christopher Sekerak, vice director of NEXIS and junior at SU.  “We’re not under their direct guidance. Obviously we like to collaborate with faculty, but it’s totally student driven.”

Students initiate all NEXIS projects. One student is exploring how virtual reality technology could be used to combat phobias. Another student is using technology to more fully understand the meaning behind certain facial expressions.

embed_joshkonowitz_allywalsh_cp

Josh Konowitz is a student working on a NEXIS lab project. Ally Walsh | Contributing Photographer

New to NEXIS this year is the possibility of group projects. This addition may help the lab push boundaries like never before.

“A lot of times in the past we have had great individual projects that, even if there’s great work that comes out of it, they tend not to continue across semesters,” Sekerak said. The group projects will allow people to share knowledge in a way that allows for projects to span semesters or years, he said.

Sekerak is a participant in one of the group initiatives. He, along with a team of five other students, are exploring the uses of blockchain.

NEXIS allows students to realize their potential. The lab is still looking to grow in the future, and the NEXIS team is always looking for ways to improve the research process. Student technology shouldn’t be ignored and, with the help of campus resources, SU students can showcase their innovative spirit.

Eamon Gallagher’s is a freshman in the School of Information Studies. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected].