ON CAMPUS

SU’s iSchool is working to increase internet access in Liberia

More than 6,000 internet backpacks will be sent to Liberia to benefit the country’s education and health care sectors.

Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies is leading a partnership to increase internet connectivity in Liberia.  

The iSchool has partnered with Imcon International and the Liberian government to increase internet connectivity in the country from 7 percent to 40 percent by 2021. iSchool students developed an internet-connected backpack that allows people to access the web remotely, and more than 6,000 backpacks will be sent to Liberia.    

Lee McKnight, an associate professor in the iSchool, coordinates the research across multiple schools and colleges at SU. McKnight, a member of Imcon’s board, connected the company with the iSchool, he said.

Imcon works with government agencies to increase internet access and develop internet infrastructures. Rob Loud, the company’s CEO, said the internet backpack is a self-sustaining unit that runs on a high power lithium-ion battery. In Liberia, it can also be recharged with solar panels.

The backpack costs between $7,000 and $8,000, and contains communication devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablets. These devices connect to a satellite that allows users to do basic functions such as web browsing and send emails, Loud said.

SU students developed the backpack and Imcon is refining and commercializing the device, McKnight said.

The project aims to provide backpacks to every school in Liberia, McKnight said. Another key focus is promoting connectivity within the health care sector and ensuring that there is infrastructure to access patients’ medical records online, he said.

“What started with something as ‘Hey, can you help us with a couple schools?’ has grown into something that we really believe can help bring fundamental improvement to a large community,” Loud said.

backpacks-for-liberia_2

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

At the iSchool, students have contributed through undergraduate research and capstone projects and developmental work over various areas of the project, McKnight said. Faculty from the College of Arts and Sciences, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics and the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs are also contributing to the project, he said.

Sarah Weber, director of employer and corporate relations at the iSchool, is coordinating parts of the project. Her goal is to ensure SU is prepared for projects in Liberia and around the globe, she said in an email.

Loud said the goal of 40 percent internet connectivity by 2021 is attainable with the contributions from SU and Imcon. He said that by providing internet in all schools for children, the next generation of Liberians will be accustomed to connectivity and will be able to continue building a sustainable internet infrastructure for the country.

“In this time period our goal is truly to empower, train and employ the local Liberians there to make this self-sustaining,” Loud said.

McKnight said expanding internet connectivity to 40 percent in Liberia could incentivize internet service providers to further expand internet in the country and create a 4G network.  

After the project is completed in 2021, Imcon will have a minimal presence in Liberia to ensure that the country has the training and resources necessary to continue internet growth, Loud said.

“One of the things that was most important with the government officials in Liberia was to know that this wasn’t just one of those ‘feel good’ projects where we throw some money, throw some equipment and then disappear,” Loud said. “They want it to be long-term sustainable and that’s the goal.”