The last farmers market of the season is Thursday in Fayetteville

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

Nestled outside of Town Center Mall, off of NY-5 E, sits the Fayetteville Farmers Market CNY. On Thursdays from noon to 6 p.m., the market offers locally sourced produce from central New York farmers.

The last Farmers Market of the season will take place Thursday. Vendors will sell a range of products including fresh produce, baked goods, locally grown flowers and a variety of goat and cow cheeses, among others.

The Fayetteville operation first started in 2014 by Lacey and Kevin Cashman of Mountain Grown Farm. Lacey said she encourages visitors to try a farm fresh carrot — “the rest of the carrots you find in the store will be ruined for you forever,” she said.

The farm originally began in 2009 as a vineyard, keeping a small garden on the side to bring in a source of income before the grapes were harvested. The small garden has evolved since, becoming completely sustainable. Earthworms are used to enrich their soil — you can find almost any type of crop depending on the season.

“There’s a huge difference in food that is fresher and still alive. It lasts longer generally when you bring it home, but it also supports the farms that grow it,” Lacey said.

Tim Hoda is the owner of Rainforest Spice Company, a beekeeping farm. He sells more than 50 products including raw unprocessed honey, natural lip balm and beeswax food wraps. He also sells bee propolis extract, which has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties — used as a holistic approach to treating wounds and possibly aiding in certain types of cancer treatment, Hoda said.

For the 20 years he’s been working as a beekeeper, Hoda has used sustainable practices in order to “live at peace with man, God and his creation.” He’s even manufactured his own “protein patties,” which are full of healthy fats and essential oils to provide his bees with protection against varroa mites — the main problem facing honey bees. Unlike most commercial bee farms, Rainforest Spice Company has seen very little drop in their bee and honey production.

Hoda’s passion for his work — and, most importantly, his bees — is evident.

“They say if you find something you love doing, you’ll never work another day in your life, and since starting this farm I haven’t,” he said.

For Hoda, small-scale farming is a remedy to modern issues in society. He said technology shouldn’t be used as a short-term “fix” and that people should explore how they can contribute to society in a meaningful way while finding what makes them happy.