Ish Guitars helps people find the perfect match for an instrument

Dan Lyon | Staff Photographer

Jesse Wilson sold his car to afford his first order of four custom basses back in 2009. Now, he is considering opening up a second location for his business.

For Camillus native Jesse Wilson, his passion for music began in elementary school when he started playing the drums. Not long after, his musical interests shifted to playing the bass, the instrument which would later ignite his career.

When he was 16, Wilson itched for better bass guitars — so he opened a guitar store. He would find basses, play them for a few years and then sell them on Craigslist. Little by little, with the money he saved up from selling basses and from selling his car, Wilson, then 21, opened his business.

Ish Guitars is a music store located at 410 S. Franklin St. in Armory Square. With guitars ranging from $150 to $14,550, the shop’s inventory is stocked with curated and handcrafted instruments. No two guitars are the same.

The store initially, since its founding in 2009, served the music community as an online-only retail store for basses. It wasn’t until December 2014 that the store opened in its current downtown Syracuse location.

For Wilson, the most rewarding part about running a music shop is providing people with instruments that they really connect with.

“When you’re a musician,” Wilson said, “a guitar is so personal and such a direct extension of your hands that when you find one that really fits you, it’s like nothing else.”

Ish Guitars’ main goal is to help create those special “nothing else” moments for their customers. Wilson said he commits to helping people find instruments that best fit the business’ needs by showing them models ranging in price and by not rushing the selection process.

The shop’s inventory — including a set of themed guitars symbolizing the “Holy Trinity” that Wilson designed himself — is what sets it apart from other music stores, Wilson said.

“The only thing (other guitar stores) have is $200 crappy guitars that nobody actually wants. The stuff you see in here is stuff of like, in your dreams kind of deal,” he said.

The name Ish Guitars comes from American comedian and cornet player Ish Kabibble, which was also the nickname that Wilson’s grandfather gave to him as a child.

“Funny thing is, after I opened the store, I always thought he was the only one that did that,” Wilson said. “I have met probably five or six people, both guys and girls, who were like, ‘My grandpa called me Ish Kabibble too,’ so it’s kind of funny.”

Creating bonds between customers and employees is a top priority for Wilson — he wants each person who walks through the door to feel like family.

a1_embed_danlyon_sp-1

Ish Guitars moved into its Armory Square location in December 2014 after its humble beginnings in the basement of the Wilson family home. Dan Lyon | Staff Photographer

James and Mary Corriveau, from Watertown, are loyal customers of Ish Guitars, as well as volunteers for Guitars For Vets, a national organization that provides guitars and lessons for veterans. With the support of Wilson and Ish Guitars, the Corriveaus were able to start a local chapter of the organization in November 2017.

“As soon as you walk through the door you are greeted by Jesse or one of his teammates,” the Corriveaus said in an email. “(Wilson) knows his products, knows how to engage customers and can sell snowballs during lake effect snow storms.”

Joelynn Avery, operations director at Ish Guitars, said she wants to provide an experience for customers that is unlike any other guitar store. For her, the best part about working at Ish Guitars is being part of a business that is visibly growing.

With small businesses, she said she doesn’t feel lost. Instead, she has a direct hand in day-to-day functions.

“Traditionally, some guitar stores … it’s sort of on the customer to find what they want and make an experience for themselves,” Avery said. “Whereas here, we kind of want to provide that experience first-hand and give customers a different idea of what a guitar store can be.”

While employees at Ish Guitars are constantly focused on sales, product shipping and curating handcrafted designs for instruments, there is also room for fun in their schedule.

“We’re kind of all millennials trying to make our way and have some fun and make some money and have a good life,” Wilson said.