Here’s what Marshall Street business owners think of this luxury student apartment complex

Madeline Foreman | Staff Photographer

The Marshall opened in September after numerous delays prevented students from moving in at the start of the academic year.

The opening of The Marshall, a luxury student apartment complex, has increased foot traffic on Marshall Street, local business managers and owners said.

The complex that now towers over Marshall Street opened in September after delays prevented it from being ready at the start of the school year. The eight-story complex has a 287-bed capacity, with the first floor reserved for commercial space.

Managers of businesses on and around Marshall Street, adjacent to The Marshall, expressed mixed feelings about the presence of the luxury apartment building.

The new apartments have positively affected the 92-year-old Varsity Pizza, said Frank Polera, manager of Varsity Pizza. The South Crouse Avenue pizza shop has adjusted its hours to maximize student business, Polera said.

The shop is now open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sundays and has added an all-day Sunday brunch option, which has become “really popular,” he said.

Manny’s is the oldest establishment on Marshall Street, selling Syracuse University apparel and merchandise since 1949. Its manager, Bill Nester, has worked at the clothing store for more than 35 years.

287

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

“I can’t really say that I’ve seen an increase in business,” Nester said, “but with more people on the street or close to the business that we’re running, it can’t help but be good.”

As The Marshall is not currently at full capacity, Nester said that he might be able to determine the building’s impact on Manny’s once there are more residents living in the apartments.

J. Michael Shoes, established in 1983, is a family-owned Marshall Street business that sells shoes, apparel and accessories. The manager, Jim Hicks, said he thinks of The Marshall as “a sign of progress.”

Having students living closer to the store instead of places farther away, on East Genesee Street or South Campus, will potentially bring in more business, he added.

Michelle Henry, the manager of Bleu Monkey Cafe, a restaurant just a few doors down from J. Michael Shoes, said she thinks The Marshall has created difficulties in parking. She also said she doesn’t believe The Marshall has affected business at the Asian-inspired eatery.

“That’s a lot of added people driving, commuting through here,” she said.

Hicks called parking on Marshall Street “a major obstacle in this area.”

Henry said she doesn’t think a lack of parking will be a problem for the restaurant because students coming in on foot make up much of the Bleu Monkey crowd. She added that developers should not create new luxury student apartments unless adequate parking garages or lots are designated.

The Marshall is not the only luxury student apartment in the university area. Theory Syracuse, located on East Genesee Street and The 505 on Walnut, located on Walnut Avenue, are both new luxury housing complexes near campus that began leasing apartments to students this fall.

It is good to have a balance between old and new, even if it causes problems with foot and car traffic, Nester said.

“It’s nice to have new apartments, or new places to live, or updated college facilities,” Nester said. “That is definitely a good thing for the community and for Syracuse University.”