Family Weekend Guide 2018

5 ways to keep your family entertained this weekend

Explore campus events or take your parents out for a night on the town for Family Weekend.

If you’re still scrambling to perfect your Family Weekend itinerary, here are five parent-approved events to add to your list.

“Christopher Robin” screening

When: Oct. 25, 26 and 27 at 8 p.m., doors open at 7:30 p.m.
Where: HBC Gifford Auditorium

University Union will host a screening of Disney’s “Christopher Robin” this weekend as part of its fall movie screenings. The movie tells the story of now-grown Christopher Robin, when he gets a visit from his friend Winnie the Pooh.

Sarah Goldberg, UU’s cinemas director, said the organization chose to screen “Christopher Robin” during Family Weekend because of the film’s family-friendly nature.

“It seemed like it would be a movie that parents and children would enjoy,” Goldberg said. “With parents, it has the nostalgia factor of growing up with Winnie the Pooh … It has the ideas and the themes of wanting to go back to your youth.”

The screening is free for students and the general public. Closed captioning will be provided on Saturday night.

Syracuse Spooktacular

When: Oct. 26 and 27 from 6 to 9 p.m.
Where: Burnet Park

Spooktacular is an annual event hosted by the Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation and Youth Programs. The weekend will include haunted tours in groups of 15 to 20 people, a bounce house, games, giveaways and music.

This year’s Spooktacular took a month of preparation by a handful of volunteers and features exhibits devoted to popular Halloween movies.

“We go really all-out for it. It’s one of the scariest — I would say — haunted tours in all this area,” said Mike Nesci, assistant director of special events for the city of Syracuse.

Nesci said Spooktacular may not be as “big” as Fright Nights at the Fair but said it’s “every bit as scary.” He recommends the event for students and families who like to be scared and want to visit a city-run event.

Howl-O-Ween

When: Oct. 27 from 9 a.m. to noon
Where: Glazed & Confused, 211 N. Clinton St.

Families don’t have to leave their furry friends at home this weekend. Donut shop Glazed & Confused will host a Halloween costume contest for dogs. The winner will receive two donuts, a box of coffee and a mug — plus a photo of the winning hound will make the shop’s wall of fame.

The donut shop is partnering with a local animal shelter for the event, and the entry fee for the contest is a suggested donation of pet supplies such as food or dog beds. Glazed & Confused will be serving their normal line-up of donuts, plus whatever the special of the day is — Halloween-themed donuts won’t be available until Oct. 31.

Syracuse Crunch game

When: Oct. 27 at 7 p.m.
Where: Oncenter War Memorial Arena

The Syracuse Crunch will face the Charlotte Checkers on Saturday night, with a Halloween twist. Children in attendance will be able to trick or treat on the ice after the game. There will also be a donation to Change for Change, which benefits Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital.

“We encourage everyone to dress in costume for the night,” said Daniel Mead, account executive for the Syracuse Crunch.

Fans will have the opportunity to enter the on-ice costume contest, where winners will receive a Crunch prize pack.

Glow Skate

When: Oct. 27 at 7 p.m.
Where: Tennity Ice Pavilion

Orange After Dark’s annual Family Weekend Glow Skate includes free skate rentals and refreshments. The evening will also offer glow-in-the-dark accessory giveaways and music.

“It’s a very different experience,” said Orange After Dark Event Board Member Nikki Bracci. “You can go to Tennity whenever you want and ice skate, but at this, there’s music playing, and it’s just a different way to ice skate.”

Courtney Jones, associate director of the Office of Student Activities, said there will be a guest appearance by Otto. The annual Glow Skate has always had a fair turnout with positive feedback, she said.

Admission is free for students and their families, but students should still bring SUIDs.