Dungey’s inefficiency and more takeaways from Syracuse’s overtime loss at Pittsburgh

Colin Davy | Staff Photographer

Eric Dungey finished completing just 18-of-38 passes through the air and was intercepted twice.

PITTSBURGH — Syracuse (4-2, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) fell in overtime to Pittsburgh (3-3, 2-1) at Heinz Field, 44-37.

After taking an early lead, surrendering it and building it back up, SU coasted into overtime, where Pitt pressed home a score, and SU turned it over.

Here are three reactions from the loss.

Inefficient aerial attack

On the final play of the game, Eric Dungey lobbed an underthrown prayer to the corner of the end zone in double coverage. Pittsburgh’s Therran Coleman cut under the route and intercepted the pass, ending the game.

Dungey, when it mattered most, faltered, throwing the ball away on the first play of overtime after Pitt took a 44-37 lead. After a stagnant first half — 12-for-24 for 58 yards and an interception — Dungey breathed some life into the offense, putting Syracuse back ahead, 31-27, in the third quarter.

But SU could never build its lead. When Dungey had opportunities for open shots down the field, he seldom hit them. Even on short routes, he struggled at times, especially on his first pick, where he simply threw it to a Pitt defender.

And finally, when Syracuse needed its senior quarterback to guide them to a hard-fought road win, Dungey faltered.

Gashed on the ground

Syracuse’s linebackers, for the second week in a row, got swallowed up in run support, letting opposing running backs get free consistently.

This time, it was Qadree Ollison and Darrin Hall who shredded on the ground, combining for 41 carries for 302 yards and three touchdowns.

On Pitt’s first touchdown, an Ollison gash for 69 yards down the left sideline, Kielan Whitner crashed into the box and was dominated by an offensive lineman. The group struggled to get to the perimeter and defend stretches and Pitt’s favored rollout pass to its running backs.

When it got to overtime, Pitt continued to attack on the ground, running on every play. Up the middle, or to either side, it didn’t matter. The Panthers kept moving forward.

Living in the backfield

A small bright spot in the loss, Alton Robinson dominated, racking up four tackles for loss — two of them sacks — and most notably, two forced fumbles.

The first came on a fly sweep on the Panthers’ first drive. Robinson shot off the edge and waylaid Pitt wideout and ball carrier Shocky Jacques-Louis, knocking the ball free for Andrew Armstrong to recover.

On the second fumble, Robinson got home to Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett, hitting his front side and knocking the ball free for Ryan Guthrie to fall on.

Syracuse’s defensive line has been arguably the Orange’s best position group, and Robinson’s dominant play is one of the reasons it is. But on Saturday, neither the line nor Robinson could do enough for Syracuse to overcome the Panthers.