Men's Soccer

Djimon Johnson’s position change provides SU stability defensively

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

Djimon Johnson has played a more prominent role in the midfield as a defensive specialist.

Wake Forest’s Bruno Lapa began the No. 1 Demon Deacons’ game against Syracuse on Oct. 5 as the Atlantic Coast Conference’s leading scorer with 26 points. He’d tallied at least a point in nine of his first 11 games, including two five-point outings. But 90 minutes and just one shot attempt later, Lapa was shut out for just the third time this season.

Lapa’s matchup for most of the game was SU’s Djimon Johnson, who started his third game of the season for an Orange defense that allowed nearly a goal and a half per game. A combination of bumps and finger wags in a physical contest helped Johnson shut out Wake Forest’s superstar though, which helped lead Syracuse (6-4-2, 1-3-1 Atlantic Coast) to a win over the top team in the country.

The contest against Wake Forest was Johnson’s second as a central defensive midfielder, the position that Hugo Delhommelle had played for most of the season. Johnson’s switch to the defensive-minded role has helped Syracuse step up its defense after a poor start to the 2018 campaign. Since Johnson started at the position against Akron on Oct. 1, SU is 3-0-1 and has given up just three goals after it allowed 13 scores in its first eight games.

“When he closed down Lapa, which is one of the best midfielders in the country, I think it says it all,” Delhommelle said. “It’s not how he performs, it’s how the opponent performs, and if (Lapa) didn’t perform at all, I think there’s a guy behind that, and that guy is DJ.”

a3_maxfreund_ape-web

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

The switch was originally made in part to get Delhommelle more involved offensively.  Delhommelle took over the defensive midfield position from former SU star and current MLS player Mo Adams.

As a defensive midfielder, Delhommelle didn’t get on the ball much and his passing skills were underutilized. Prior to Akron, the senior had just three assists after he recorded six last year to lead the Orange. He has yet to record a point since the switch upfield, but he’s been given more chances with the ball. While Delhommelle continues to look for more success offensively, he said he knows he’s now in charge of the offense in the midfield and Johnson’s in charge of the defense.

“Everyone on the team could be a starter,” Johnson said, “so once we slot someone in we expect them to perform just as well as the starters.”
quote

Blessing Emole | Design Editor

Johnson’s athleticism was one of the main reasons for SU head coach Ian McIntyre to make the switch. While Delhommelle is athletic in his own right, teammate Jonathan Hagman said, Johnson’s among the best on the team at locking down opposing “superstars.”

“DJ’s been waiting for his chance,” McIntyre said. “He’s worked extremely hard, and I think he’s performed well. He’s providing us a good balance at midfield.”

Delhommelle said that while it’s a “tough job because you don’t shine, you don’t get the stats,” the position is in good hands with Johnson.

Through four games, the switch has been a positive change for the Orange. Syracuse’s last four regular-season games include contests against Boston College and NC State, who are ahead of SU in the Atlantic division standings. But after Johnson’s performance against Wake Forest, he’s no longer a stranger to those scenarios.

“He’s not overwhelmed by playing Wake Forest or Ohio State, Akron, or Louisville,” McIntyre said about the sophomore. “He’s a player that will step up to the challenge, and has been outstanding for us.”