Beat writers split on result of Syracuse against NC State

Eric Dungey was listed as the starter on Monday's depth chart, heading into a night game on Saturday against NC State.

Syracuse (5-2, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) finds itself in unfamiliar territory as No. 22 North Carolina State (5-1, 2-1) makes the trip to the Carrier Dome this weekend. Syracuse is in striking distance of a bowl game for the first time in five years coming off a 40-37 come-from-behind victory against North Carolina. The Wolfpack, on the other hand, are coming off their first loss of the season, a 41-7 shellacking in Death Valley against Clemson. Saturday’s matchup begins at 7 p.m. on ESPN2.

Below, The Daily Orange beat writers make their Saturday predictions.

Andrew Graham (6-1)
What about the other quarterback?
North Carolina State 38, Syracuse 34

The Wolfpack comes to the Carrier Dome this Saturday, sorely beaten by Clemson last weekend. The Dome will prove to be no respite, but I think NC State has enough in quarterback Ryan Finley and wideout Kelvin Harmon to leave with a win. Throw in the fact that both of Syracuse’s starting cornerbacks, Chris Fredrick and Scoop Bradshaw, are questionable to go this weekend and the field tilts the Wolfpack’s way. Whether Syracuse starts Tommy DeVito or Eric Dungey, I think North Carolina State will have an answer: Lean on your star quarterback on the road. A Syracuse defense prone to big plays gives up one too many and the bowl watch shifts to Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Matt Liberman (5-2)
All bark no bite
Syracuse 38, NC State 35

Looking at this game between Syracuse and NC State one thing sticks out: The Wolfpack offense is very strong. With Ryan Finley under center and three strong wide receivers, headed by an all-conference talent in Kelvin Harmon, I don’t think there’s any doubt the NC State offense can overpower the SU defense. In any other conditions aside from a Saturday night in the Dome, I think this is a win for the Wolfpack. That said, NC State hasn’t beaten anyone particularly strong this season, and in its one challenge thus far, Clemson demolished the Pack down in Death Valley. The Dome will be rocking Saturday night to the tune of thousands. The noise echoing throughout those concrete walls will disrupt the NC State offense, and Syracuse will take advantage, going to its first bowl game since 2013.

Josh Schafer (6-1)
Back to the Pinstripe Bowl
Syracuse 45, NC State 37

Dungey or DeVito? As long as that question doesn’t distract Syracuse, which the team claims it hasn’t, the Orange can continue riding the wave from its double-overtime victory a week ago. If Syracuse wins a game in the Dino Babers era, it’s always high scoring, and that’s what both teams’ defenses allow for in this matchup. Syracuse ended the North Carolina game on a high note and looked every bit of the team that opened the season 4-0. With a night game atmosphere at home, Syracuse will need to score early to keep the Dome a hostile environment. A weak pass defense from North Carolina State, which ranks in the bottom 30 in the country, allows that, and the Orange prevail in a close game.