Women's Soccer

Syracuse concedes with 9 seconds remaining in 1-0 loss to Louisville

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Lysianne Proulx, pictured earlier this season, allowed the winning goal to Louisville with nine seconds left in SU's game Sunday.

With nine seconds remaining in the second half, all Syracuse needed to do was defend one last Louisville push. If it did, the Orange would earn its first point in conference play and snap its five-game losing streak.

As Maisie Whitsett darted down the left wing, SU center back Taylor Bennett pressed up against Cardinals striker Brooklynn Rivers, one of three Louisville players in a crowded penalty area. Whitsett’s cross found Rivers’ left foot before she shrugged off Bennett, spun around and fired a right-footed strike into the bottom right corner.

The goal broke a scoreless deadlock and led Louisville (9-1, 3-0 Atlantic Coast) to a 1-0 victory over Syracuse (3-8, 0-3) on Sunday afternoon at Dr. Mark & Cindy Lynn Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. Despite suffering the loss and getting outshot 19-7, the Orange put together one of their most complete performances of the season.

Much of the first 20 minutes was spent in Syracuse’s defensive half as Louisville wingers Allison Whitfield and Callie McKinney were constantly fed the ball before running at SU outside backs Clarke Brown and Jenna Tivnan. But the Orange defense used well-timed tackles and solid marking to halt the Cardinals from getting in dangerous, goal-scoring positions.

As the first half progressed, SU’s attack began to possess the ball in Louisville’s defensive half. Georgia Allen was the catalyst in the midfield, collecting the ball and finding wingers Sydney Brackett and Meghan Root in space. The Orange worked two corner kicks and five shots (one on target) in the first half.

But Syracuse’s eagerness to get forward meant Louisville had newfound space in the midfield and attack. With 19 minutes remaining in the half, Cardinals midfielder Emina Ekic scooted behind Brown and Aviza for a one-on-one chance but was denied by SU goalkeeper Jordan Harris. As Ekic closed in on goal, Harris pounced off her line and made herself big before thwarting away Ekic’s attempt.

After conceding eight goals in her last five appearances, Harris was at her best in the first half. The redshirt senior made a season-high seven saves while keeping a clean sheet. Despite Harris’ strong play, SU head coach Phil Wheddon swapped goalkeepers at halftime for the fourth time this season by substituting in Lysianne Proulx to open the second half.

The Orange started the second half with more energy than the Cardinals, and it led to scoring chances. Three minutes in, Brackett’s corner kick was met by Bennett’s head, but the ball sailed wide of the frame. Ten minutes later, SU managed two more corner kicks but failed to test Louisville goalkeeper Gabrielle Kouzelos. Of Syracuse’s seven total shots, just three were on target.

After spending more than 25 minutes primarily on the attack, SU started to give up the ball and sit back defensively, inviting pressure. In the final 20 minutes, Louisville took eight shots, including one that rattled the crossbar, and forced three saves out of Proulx. Just as they did to open the game, the Cardinals used wing play and crossing to put pressure on SU’s defense.

And with nine seconds remaining, it was that exact formula that pushed the home team to its conference-leading ninth win of the season.

Syracuse will finish its three-game road trip next Saturday when it visits Miami at 7 p.m. at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables, Florida.