High School Football

Preview: Cicero-North Syracuse at Fayetteville-Manlius

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

Defending Section III Class AA champion Cicero-North Syracuse (3-0) takes its explosive offense to Fayetteville-Manlius (3-0) for a matchup of undefeateds. After leaning on a strong defensive performance to sneak past Liverpool in Week 1, Fayetteville-Manlius has been able to establish a strong rushing attack behind senior running backs Zack Page and Mitchell Seabury over the last two wins against Christian Brothers Academy and Utica Proctor.

For C-NS, mobile quarterback Conner Hayes and an uber-athletic receiving core have shone in three impressive wins. The Northstars routed Christian Brothers Academy in week one, and then did the same the next two weeks against Liverpool and Rome Free Academy. Here’s a preview for Friday’s big game at Fayetteville-Manlius High School.

WHERE

Fayetteville-Manlius High School

WHEN

Friday, Sept. 21 at 7:00 p.m.

WHO

Cicero-North Syracuse (3-0) at Fayetteville-Manlius (3-0)  

Last-Year’s Game

Cicero North-Syracuse and Fayetteville-Manlius did not play last season.  

By The Numbers:

Passing leaders

Cicero-North Syracuse: Conner Hayes: 74 percent completion/584 yards/8 TDs

Fayetteville-Manlius: Owen Neuman: 43 percent completion/ 233 yards/ 3 TDs

Rushing leaders

Cicero-North Syracuse: Jaiquawn McGriff: 25 attempts/ 231 yards/ 2 TDs/ 9.24 YPC

Fayetteville-Manlius: Zack Page: 56 attempts/ 327 yards/ 1 TD/ 5.8 YPC

Receiving leaders

Cicero-North Syracuse: Shy’rel Broadwater: 13 receptions/ 191 yards/ 6 TDs

Fayetteville-Manlius: Jack Hannah: 7 receptions/ 106 yards/ 2 TDs

Defensive leaders

Cicero-North Syracuse: LB Josh Lawrence: 21 Tackles/ 1 Sack/ 1 INT

Fayetteville-Manlius: LB Tim Shaw: 27 Tackles/ 0  Sacks/ 0 INTs

Key Points from interview with F-M head coach Paul Muench

• Each side of the ball has stood out for F-M this season. The win over CBA needed special teams and defense. The Liverpool win was led by the defense. And the offense stood out against Utica Proctor last week. Each side has done a part to win a game this season. 
  • The mindset for F-M in prepping for the defending sectional champs is playing to their strengths, and doing their best stuff with their best players. Another key point was to trust the F-M system and adjust to the opponent.
  • This is a very experienced F-M team, and one the coaching staff has been building up. The senior class has been through a lot, played in big games, in front of big crowds, played on TV. That experience allows them to focus on the game, and Muench highlighted that focus and experience helps the younger guys focus as well.
  • For Muench, a key for containing the C-NS offense this week is to keep the QB, Conner Hayes, in the pocket. Muench emphasized Hayne’s mobility and accuracy. Muench also keyed on being able win in the trenches, and stop big plays.
  • The offensive line and receiving core of C-NS has also stood out to Muench. He emphasized that when C-NS does spread you out, they have enough talent on the outside to attack single coverage effectively. The C-NS offense is always looking for match-ups and trying to set up the deep ball as well.  
  • Muench highlighted several key F-M players for Friday’s game. He praised RB Zach Page’s speed and home-run hitting ability as a returner. RB Mitchell Seabury’s return last week from injury was also very encouraging for Muench. QB Owen Neuman has also performed well this season. SE Jack Hannah has been a focal point of the passing game. On defense, Coach Muench raved about senior LB and captain Tim Shaw. He praised his leadership qualities and solid play at the linebacker position. DL Zak Conley has also been a standout as a pass rusher this season, as well.
  • For Muench, a key to winning the game Friday is the ability to adjust. The coach also highlighted that the run game, getting into the C-NS defense, countering their speed, containing big plays, and feeding off the home crowd will also be vital.

Interview with C-NS head coach Dave Kline.

On his impressions of C-NS so far this season:

“Defense has played well, happy with the way they’re playing right now. Our team speed has been pretty impressive”

On QB Conner Hayes growth from last year’s title run to the early portion of this season:

“Now he knows he’s gotta be the leader. He’s gotta be the guy who’s gonna step up and take care of business. He’s really embraced that role.”

On the Fayetteville-Manlius offense:

“Such a difficult offense. They run the Wing-T very well. Trying to emulate their offense in practice is very, very difficult. Hope that the guys pick up the offense early in the game. Throwing the ball a little bit as well. Very dangerous team.”  

On the new faces on the offensive line, and returning experience in the skill positions:

“The biggest graduation rate to hurt us was the offensive line. Some of the other kids are starting to step up. They’re starting to build that single-unit, they’re starting to gel, which is huge. A lot of our skill players played last season, so they all know what to expect, which is important.”    

On players to look out for on Friday night.

“Obviously Conner (Hayes), Tailback Jeremiah Willis. Shy’rel Broadwater and Nate Gellof have both caught the ball well.”  

On what C-NS has to do win on the road

“Not give up plays on special teams. Not give up big plays period. Force them to drive the ball down the field. As I always say, we gotta play fast and play physical.”