Moderate Column

Police officers should wear body cameras

Police body worn cameras help to foster better, and safer, environments on and off University Hill.

It’s a sign of the times: Transparency is more than expected.

The Syracuse Police Department earlier this month announced that it’s expanding its body camera program, outfitting 90 officers with the revolutionary gear, and Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety started using the cameras three years ago.

With troubling cases of police brutality reported across the country, this SPD expansion is overdue, and the city should be commended for its work on the issue.

DPS has also been headed in the right direction.

“We wanted to be more transparent and accountable to the community,” said DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado.

The cameras function as an objective way to hold officers accountable for potentially unacceptable behavior. It’s not a perfect system. But it’s a step in the right direction, helping foster better, and safer, environments on and off University Hill.

Maldonado said body cameras have been beneficial to police-community relations.

picturethis

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

A recent evaluation by the Rialto Police Department described the effects of body cameras, noting a decrease in complaints against officers by about 87 percent and a decrease in use-of-force by officers with cameras dropped 59 percent during a 12-month period.

Some people may argue that body cameras can create situations where a person’s privacy is violated. Cameras are always turned on, no matter what call an officer is responding to.

But DPS protocol requires officers to let people know if they are wearing cameras, and that the cameras are turned on. It’s an act of good faith, bolstering a police department’s presence in the community.

That’s needed now more than ever.

Bethanie Viele is a junior biology with a focus on environmental sciences major and religion minor. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @viele_bethanie.