News briefs: 4 stories you may have missed

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

The Marshall, a new luxury apartment, will open late due to construction delays.

Here are some developments in local news — from crime near Syracuse University to new security initiatives at events — that you may have missed over the long weekend:

The Marshall update: Utility work completed, furniture to be moved in this week

Tenants at The Marshall, an eight-story luxury apartment being constructed near SU on the former site of Hungry Chuck’s and Funk ‘n Waffles, will receive move-in dates and times by the end of the week, per an email from the building’s developer which was obtained by The Daily Orange on Friday.

Construction delays at The Marshall have temporarily displaced all 287 future tenants, many of whom are SU students.

Jared Hutter, developer of The Marshall, has said that he plans to move students in sometime in September.

The timelines of the move-ins are estimates and can vary by floor, per the email.

Two people arrested after police raid on Lancaster Market

Authorities said they found unstamped packages of cigarettes and packages with counterfeit stamps in Lancaster Market, according to court documents.

Police arrested Anwar Alkoubah, 39 — who runs the store — and Abdulmageed Pady, 19, after the raid on the market, which is located in the 1000 block of Lancaster Avenue.

Cigarette packages sold in New York state must have a legitimate tax stamp issued by the state, and possession of cigarettes with counterfeit tax stamps is a felony.

SU ends security ‘pat-downs’

People attending large-scale events both on and off campus at SU will now be searched using a metal detecting wand instead of being subjected to “pat-downs.”

Robert Hradsky, SU’s dean of students, said in a campus-wide email Friday that the new security process is “less invasive” and the change resulted in part from feedback about the pat-downs.

Metal detection wands will be used at on-campus venues in Schine Student Center and SkyBarn, as well as off campus at events such as Juice Jam, Mayfest and Senior Celebration, per the email.

Two SU students robbed along Madison Street

An unidentified man robbed two SU students of a cell phone and handbag in the 1200 block of Madison Avenue early Saturday morning, according to police.

He displayed “what appeared to be” a black handgun and knife and fled on foot westbound toward Comstock Avenue after robbing the students, the Department of Public Safety reported in a campus-wide email. The man was described as 6-foot-tall and in his 20s.

No one was injured during the incident, per a DPS alert.