Syracuse Chiefs

Jason Smorol wants Syracuse to come out to the ballgame

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Jason Smorol has helped raised attendance and sponsorship revenues since he was hired as the Chiefs' general manager in 2013.

Jason Smorol walked over to the back corner of his office at NBT Bank Stadium and rummaged through some papers. Below a whiteboard, he encountered schedules and calendars and a Brannock Device, the standard foot measuring tool, invented in Syracuse by Charles F. Brannock in 1925. In May, the Chiefs changed a sign to “Device City, USA.” Players wore black jerseys featuring “Devices” in red-accented metallic font, while their hats featured a Brannock Device wearing shoes.

Smorol’s point: You can never be too creative with your promotions.

In the low-market world of minor league baseball, what happens off the field is as important as what happens on it, Smorol said. Smorol just completed his fifth season as Chiefs general manager, where his focus is to make a night at the ballpark the best thing in Syracuse. He’s led an increase in promotions and an effort to make the ballpark more accessible and engaging. Fans play catch on the field after games and eat $1 hot dogs — or even get married on the party deck.

In 2013, the Chiefs netted $1 million in losses, Smorol said. Now, they’re profitable, with attendance growing every year and sponsorship revenues climbing.

“It’s about access and affordability,” Smorol said. “We are the most affordable, most entertaining, highest-level of sport in town, and we’re going to become the No. 1-attended sporting event in town. Always was the plan. Always was going to be achieved. Now it will be achieved sooner rather than later.”

The New York Mets own the Chiefs, the former Triple-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals. Smorol said “nothing” will change next season — only that players will soon be prospects trying to play in Citi Field, not Nationals Park.

The Chiefs play 77.1 miles from the Binghamton Rumble Ponies, the Mets’ Double-A affiliate. That’s much closer than the 2,431.6 miles that separated the Las Vegas 51s — the Mets’ old Triple-A affiliate — and Binghamton. With the move, the Mets can more easily make roster adjustments up Interstate 81. Plus, the Chiefs are located in an area with a higher demographic of Mets fans, which could boost attendance.

metstriplea

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

Smorol grew up in North Syracuse, attended Chiefs games himself — his father had a share in the Chiefs — and graduated from Bishop Grimes High School in East Syracuse. In 1993, shortly  out of college, he started working for Watertown. He learned to use the parks’ main gate at the end of games, shake fans’ hands and thank them for coming — which he still does.

Twenty five years later, Smorol’s known to walk at a brisk pace along the main concourse, chatting with fans. Before the game and between innings, his fiery personality comes to life: He grabs the microphone and runs many of the promotions himself, including tossing T-shirts into the stands. He said he also enjoys hopping into the concessions to roll hot dogs on busy nights and, sometimes, clean toilets or mop the bathroom floors.

After stints with teams in Watertown, Batavia, Staten Island and Auburn, Smorol left baseball because he had just had a daughter and wanted to be home more. He took a job as an account manager for Hilti, a construction equipment supply company. But in 2013, he got a call from the Chiefs asking if he wanted to replace the late GM Tex Simone, who led the organization for more than 50 years. Smorol didn’t hesitate.

101017_metscheifs_andrewgraham_ase

New York governor Andrew Cuomo speaks at the press conference announcing the Mets’ purchase of the Chiefs.

Andrew Graham | Senior Staff Writer

When he took over in October 2013, Smorol knew where to start. Dollar Thursday was a hit in Auburn, and he wanted to bring the discounted food approach to Syracuse. Every Thursday at Syracuse games, hot dogs are $1 and beers $2.

Cold weather, Smorol understands, is part of central New York’s identity. He said it hurts attendance in April and May, but when it’s cold, “I can just put a blanket on.” It’s also difficult to predict concession inventory and sales, because many ticket sales are made same-day at the game. His staff is 13 full-time employees, which Smorol says is the smallest staff at the Triple-A level. He responds to pace-of-play criticisms by saying a Chiefs game lasts about three hours, while “Syracuse University football game takes about four and a half hours. Our games end around 9-9:30 p.m,” he said.

At the center of his strategy is a community approach. Several families said at Challenger Baseball League’s event at NBT Bank Stadium that they feel the ballpark has become more accessible under Smorol’s tenure. The most expensive ticket is $15, and many games are themed.

“Latino Day, Veterans Day, Bark in the Park, SU Day, Syracuse Strong Day, everybody gets a day around here,” he said. “They should. That engrains us into the community. We’ve been here in some way, shape or form since 1876.”

As a kid, Smorol wanted to work in the Pittsburgh Steelers front office. Then he wanted to be a game show host. He likes to think his current work lets him do both.

“I’m kinda like a game show host that works in sports,” Smorol said. “I get everybody rallied up before the game, before the fireworks, (mic) duties, the host for the event, solve some problems. I think I ended up doing what I wanted to do.”