Juice Jam Guide 2018

Here’s what you need to know about this year’s Juice Jam performers

This weekend is University Union’s annual Juice Jam Music Festival. The highly anticipated lineup will feature rap artists A$AP Ferg and Playboi Carti. Here’s what you need to know about all of the performers before they hit the stage.

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie, born Anne-Marie Rose Nicholson, is an English singer and songwriter. She was born in Essex, England, but didn’t emerge onto the music scene until 2013. During the next two years, she developed her artistry and was featured on several tracks. The 27-year-old artist released her first single in 2015, and one month later it peaked to number two on the UK charts and was eventually certified as platinum.

Her biggest career move yet came with her debut studio album “Speak Your Mind,” which was released earlier this year. Anne-Marie currently has 28,011,262 monthly Spotify listeners.

A$AP Ferg

A$AP Ferg, born Darold D. Brown Ferguson, Jr., started his rap career early in his hometown of Harlem. Ferg’s career took off when he joined rap group A$AP Mob. From there, his debut single “Work” was featured on the group’s 2012 mixtape “Lords Never Worry.”

The 29-year-old rapper released his debut album “Trap Lord” in 2013 after signing with RCA Records. Later that year, he won the BET Hip Hop “Rookie of the Year” award. Since then, Ferg has produced two more solo albums, with 9,909,558 monthly Spotify listeners.

Loud Luxury

Loud Luxury is a DJ duo featuring artists Andrew Fedyk and Joe Depace. Based in Los Angeles, the group originally formed in Canada, where Fedyk and Depace met. In 2017, they produced a remix of DJ Martin Garrix’s song “Scared to Be Lonely,” which put them on the music scene. Loud Luxury has 18,061,065 monthly Spotify listeners and some of their most popular songs include “Body” and “Love No More.”

Omar Apollo

Omar Apollo was born in Indiana and still lives there full time, but he’s traveling internationally with his current tour, W.A.N.T. The indie-rock artist is still early in his career, but his 2018 album “Stereo” has been well received, with 1,078,045 monthly Spotify listeners.

Playboi Carti

Playboi Carti, born Jordan Terrell Carter, grew up in Riverdale, GA, where he began rapping at an early age. The 21-year-old rapper signed to underground label Awful Records in 2012, but it wasn’t until 2015 that his music gained traction on Soundcloud with his singles “Broke Boi” and “Fetti.” Later, after signing with A$AP Mob’s label AWGE, Carti released his debut mixtape in 2017, putting him on the music map. Now, the rapper has 7,090,867 monthly Spotify listeners.

Carti has also modeled in several high-fashion shows, including Kanye West’s Yeezy Season 5. The rapper is also an influencer in the fashion world, named the “leader of youth style” by GQ.