Environment Column

Good Uncle is on the path to sustainability, other companies should follow

Hieu Nyguen | Asst. Photo Editor

At Good Uncle, all pastas, grain bowls and plates use certified 100 percent compostable plant-fiber based containers.

Food is something we all think about. We think about how it’s made, how is tastes, how it affects our health — the list goes on. Something we neglect to consider is the packaging that our food comes in.

As the popularity of food delivery systems such as Good Uncle, GrubHub, PostMates and Uber Eats have increased, the amount of waste stemming from the packaging has increased. Most often made from plastic, this cheap and durable packaging material goes on to exist in our landfills, the ocean and is even consumed by the animals we eat.

plasticpit

Laura Angle| Digital Design Editor

Good Uncle recognizes this push for sustainability and is answering the call — other food delivery systems should follow suit. As consumers, we have the power to choose where we spend our money, and eco-friendliness should be a factor to consider.

“When we talk to students, sustainability is something that comes up frequently,” said Eric Battes, Good Uncle’s executive vice president of culinary.

Good Uncle actively works to promote a sustainable system of food delivery within the company and tries to employ eco-friendly packaging wherever they can, Battes said. So while your dinner may be delivered in a plastic bag, all pastas, grain bowls and plates use certified 100 percent compostable plant-fiber based containers; ramekins for sauces utilizing a corn-based plastic; and utensils that are all made out of plant-based cornstarch.

“We consider it a very valuable company standard to maintain sustainability across packaging,” Battes said.

They were able to move away from their recyclable plastic containers used last semester, a change that Battes said has only affected the company in a positive way.

“From a culinary standpoint we’re still using the best ingredients we can, prepared by real chefs,” Battes said. “So, whether we put this in unsustainable or sustainable containers, the food will still taste the same — but we know from an environmental standpoint that this is the right decision.”

Sustainable materials are more expensive. But that shouldn’t be an excuse. Good Uncle has started to prove that the price to pay for hurting the environment supersedes the price of sustainable materials.

packaging

Laura Angle| Digital Design Editor

While still not 100 percent sustainable, the company plans on continuing its path toward establishing themselves as an eco-friendly food delivery system.

Now more than ever, it’s important that we as consumers engage in a conversation about the environmental implications of our actions.

Sustainability should serve as a factor in everyday decision making — even when it comes to something as small as ordering takeout.

Emily Cerrito is a sophomore television, radio and film major. Her column appears biweekly. You can reach her at [email protected].