Cicero ‘Pumkin’ patch celebrates fall traditions with opening weekend

Cassianne Cavallaro | Contributing Illustrator

The fall season is quickly approaching, and with the change comes sweet scented candles, cozy blankets and all things pumpkin. Of many quintessential fall traditions, there’s always a visit to a pumpkin patch, and the Cicero “Pumkin” Patch has plenty of festivities lined up for the season.

The Cicero “Pumkin” Patch, established about 25 years ago, has consistently grown in popularity and size. The missing “p” in pumpkin is not a typo on the farm’s behalf. The letter is purposefully left out of the patch’s name as a way to emphasize the variety of activities they have to offer. Along with the classic activity of pumpkin picking, visitors can also enjoy a corn maze, hayrides, nature walks, wine tastings and more.

The Cicero “Pumkin” Patch has many different names for their various breeds of pumpkin. Visitors can find classic pumpkins for carving, others for baking pies and some with more unusual names, including “Red Warty Things,” “Silver Moons” and “Blue Dolls.” Along with pumpkins, the patch also sells a variety of gourds and corns, such as broomcorn, multi-colored corn and strawberry corn.

With pumpkin picking comes the Cicero tradition of the “Hermit Hayride.” This family-friendly event involves guests being driven through the woods full of “graveyards,” “candy lanes” and more not-so-frightening fun. Also popular are the patch’s three different corn mazes, “The Thinking Tree” and the “Maddie’s Way Family Fun Walk,” all of which Chet Dudzinski, one of the founding members of the family-run patch, said are sure to guarantee a good time.

The patch also offers several photo opportunities so visitors can snap a classic festive picture. New to the patch this year is a “lost souls” graveyard, providing a photo background for guests looking for a spookier aesthetic.

Dudzinski said he looks forward to the fall season each year. He said the Syracuse community shows great support, creating a “motivating and fulfilling” environment for all who work to make Cicero “Pumkin” Patch what it is. Dudzinski said he enjoys “meeting people from all over the U.S. and of course, welcoming children of children from repeat customers.”

Having lived in Syracuse all of his life, Dudzinski said he feels a special relationship with the area and people. One of the highlights of the season, he said, is getting to enjoy watching his children and grandchildren become a part of the Cicero “Pumkin” Patch festivities.

“They have entered pumpkins at The (Great) New York State Fair for years and they have made a tremendous contribution to the success of my farm,” Dudzinski said.

When it comes to running the patch, Dudzinski emphasizes that its success comes down to the team effort of everyone involved. He added that he has high hopes that this season will be a fun experience for everyone who chooses to visit.

Between the wide variety of pumpkins, its famous hayride, the loving workers and the seasonal unity of the Syracuse community, Dudzinski said the Cicero “Pumkin” Patch will ensure that every guest leaves with a smile, fond memories and — of course — a lot of pumpkins.