Beat writers split on the outcome of Syracuse versus Florida State

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse will look to stay undefeated when it hosts Florida State at noon on Saturday.

Florida State trailed Samford for much of their meeting in week two. But the Seminoles eventually pulled away to win, 36-26. Syracuse is coming off a 62-10 shellacking of Wagner. FSU still opened as three-point favorites in Vegas, but ESPN’s FPI gives SU the better odds of winning the matchup Saturday.

Here are The Daily Orange beat writers’ predictions.

Andrew Graham (2-0)
Long time coming
Syracuse 34, Florida State 28

The last — and only — time Syracuse beat Florida State in football, Floyd Little started at running back and the Orange won, 37-21, at Archbold Stadium. It’s been a while, to say the least. But Saturday presents a good opportunity for the Orange to pick up an elusive conference win against the Seminoles. Florida State got destroyed by Virginia Tech in week one and squeaked past Samford last weekend. It’s probably not the start Willie Taggart hoped for in his inaugural season, and it’s probably about to get worse. ESPN’s Football Power Index gives the Orange a 57 percent chance of getting the win, but it’s a coin toss if you ask me. Syracuse will get the win by relying on Eric Dungey. SU’s offensive line keeps him upright to pass and exploit FSU in the run game, and SU stays undefeated, but it’s going to be close.

Matt Liberman (2-0)
Waiting game
Florida State 31, Syracuse 27

It’s been a long time since Syracuse beat Florida State, and that wait will have to go on a little longer. FSU has struggled so far this season, but we’re still talking about Florida State. Dino Babers said it himself: FSU has bigger, stronger, faster, more talented athletes who are almost all four and five-star recruits. Syracuse has not faced that type of talent this season, and while the offense has been terrific for the Orange thus far, it hasn’t had to play against an opponent with this defensive potential. Jamal Custis can’t be the only option if SU is to beat the Seminoles. Plus, the linebackers have struggled so far in the run game, and Cam Akers is one of the best in the nation. This game’s going to be close, but ultimately Akers is the difference.

Josh Schafer (2-0)
Becoming the big guy
Syracuse 34, Florida State 31

Earlier this week, Dino Babers referred to Florida State as the big guy in school. The Seminoles have won 10 or more games in five of the last six years, including three Atlantic Coast Conference Championships. But that’s not the Seminole team that comes to the Carrier Dome on Saturday. FSU has struggled so far this season with a loss against Virginia Tech and a close win over Samford. Cam Akers, arguably FSU’s best offensive player, has had half of his runs stopped before reaching two yards. The Seminoles’ offensive line has been a revolving door due to injuries and has featured 10 different contributors. If Syracuse can stop FSU’s run game and force Deondre Francois to beat SU through the air (as VT did), the Orange has a shot to win. Through two games, FSU has started slow and been outscored 26-7 in the first quarter. Look for Syracuse to jump on the visitors early and hang on for a victory.