Bandier student signs 1st artist to his own record label

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

Justin Goldman, a junior student in Syracuse University's Bandier Program, just signed his first client to his record label.

When prodigal music manager Justin Goldman seeks new talent, he said he only wants people who make music a main priority and want to be the biggest artists in the world.

Goldman, a junior in Syracuse University’s Bandier Program, is launching his own record label, JustGold. Goldman — alongside his partnership with the music distribution service, Caroline — has already signed his first artist: London-based singer Millie Go Lightly.

Goldman first encountered his future client at a friend’s apartment, when his friend played a leaked record featuring Millie Go Lightly.

“I was like, ‘Who’s this girl? (She’s) so good,’” Goldman said. “Two weeks later I was signing her.”

Working in the music business runs in the Goldman family genes. Justin said he finds inspiration from his dad, Ben — who runs a music consulting business — and his grandfather, Elliot, who has since retired from his own career in the music industry.

“I was always in the studio and just listening to alternative music, rock, pop music since I was a baby, so I was kind of born into it,” he said.

The family connections have also been beneficial for networking and finding internships, Goldman said.

Goldman got his start a year and a half ago when he first started managing an up-and-coming rapper, Yung Gravy. From there, with the help of Jacqueline Saturn, the now president of Caroline, Goldman went on to sign rapper Lil Gnar in April.

He said the one piece of advice he follows is that artists may come and go, but if you sign the best talent, it will lead to the most success. Goldman also finds guidance and inspiration from Solomon Sobande, manager of the late rapper XXXTentacion. Sobande said Goldman is loyal and conducts business with a high level of integrity.

“Justin is one of the smartest young managers in the business,” said Sobande, who considers Goldman a brother.

But Goldman’s path hasn’t always been so smooth. One of his greatest challenges as a young executive is being taken seriously by more seasoned industry professionals. Still, he isn’t letting his age hold him back — he tries to surround himself with people who mirror the person Goldman wants to be, such as his father, Sobande and Saturn.

The entire experience of managing JustGold has been surreal for Goldman, but he said he’s not wasting any time letting it soak in. Goldman is already looking toward the future — one where he hopes to “catch a couple hit records” and create a label “where artists feel like they can come and they can thrive no matter what.”