city

4 news stories from the weekend that are not about SU’s game in Clemson

A protest was held Thursday as the Senate heard testimony from one of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s accusers.

Here’s four news stories from around the Syracuse area that you may have missed this weekend:

More than 50 people protest Kavanaugh, sexual assault on Syracuse University Quad

The protesters called on senators to reject Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination after three women came forward to accuse Kavanaugh of sexaul misconduct, including sexual assault, against women.

On Thursday, senators heard testimony from Christine Blasey Ford, a professor in California, who claims Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her at a high school house party in 1982. Kavanaugh has denied the allegations.

Some people at the SU protest Thursday said they previously did not speak about their sexual assault experiences because they did not think people would believe them.

Funk ‘n Waffles removes Pete Davidson’s name from comedy show after he called Syracuse “trash”

The downtown location was scheduled to host a comedy show called “Pete Davidson Presents Joey Gay & Dave Sirus — FnW SYR,” but canceled it after Davidson called Syracuse “trash,” per Syracuse.com. Davidson was not scheduled to actually appear at the event.

Comedians Joey Gay and Dave Sirus, who were with Davidson in Syracuse while he shot the movie “Big Time Adolescence,” cancelled the event after criticism of Davidson’s comments mounted, Syracuse.com reported.

Comedians Travis Blunt, Rachel Blithe, JD Munro, Corey Smithson and Abdulkadir Hadi are listed as performers in the Facebook description for the new event.

SU Greek life survey shows students have divided thoughts on fraternities and sororities

The majority of students in Greek life said their experiences have helped them feel connected to SU, per the results of a Greek life review survey released Friday. About 48 percent of students who aren’t involved in Greek life said that fraternities and sororities don’t have a positive impact on SU.

The survey was first sent to undergraduate students during the summer as part of SU’s Greek life review, which was announced in the wake of the Theta Tau controversy.

Respondents were given different questions depending on if they identified themselves as a member of a Greek life organization. About 48 percent of survey respondents said they were members of Greek organizations.

Cleanup paves the way for development along stretch of Onondaga Lake

Demolition of eight buildings on a “high-profile” plot of land in Syracuse’s Inner Harbor will begin this week, clearing the way for development in the area and for the “Loop the Lake” project, WVRO reported.

Work on the parcel began three years ago, per WVRO, after the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency bought the land and cleared out dozens of drums of liquid waste, along with 2,500 tons of the shattered bits of junk cars.

The area of the parcel next to Onondaga lake will be part of the “Loop the Lake” project while the remaining 10 to 15 acres will be up for private investment, per WVRO.