CITY

Syracuse study lays out plan to revitalize South Avenue Corridor

The median household income in the South Avenue Corridor is $24,206, with 41 percent of the population living below the poverty line.

The city of Syracuse has laid out the blueprints for a potential revitalization of its South Avenue Corridor, a 1.5 mile stretch of road that crosses through some of the city’s poorest neighborhoods.

The seven-month study, completed in May, showed the possibility of building new infrastructure, housing and privately-owned businesses. Goals developed in the study included neighborhood development, enhanced corridor character and improved quality of life for residents.

A group of city officials and local organizations collaborated on the project. The CHC Group, a construction contracting company involved in the study, conducted a market study that outlined an overview of the South Avenue Corridor area and its economic conditions.

“It’s no secret that Syracuse, particularly that area of Syracuse, is the 13th poorest section in the country,” said Cleveland Hughes, CEO of the CHC Group. “So there’s a desperate need for something to happen here.”

southavenue2

Potential renovations at the West Onondaga Street and South Avenue intersection. Courtesy of the South Avenue Corridor Economic Developmental Feasibility Study

The South Avenue Corridor’s population is more than half black, with the median household income being $24,206, according to the study. About 41 percent of households in the area fall below the poverty line.

Hughes said the market study involved determining what city residents and potential developers and investors wanted to see in the area. Residents of the South Avenue Corridor were involved in the study to provide input on firsthand experiences and needs, and several members of the study held public forums and meetings.

An initial survey at the beginning stages of the study showed that residents wanted to see grocery stores, bookstores and ethnic markets in the area. Community members also listed restaurants, fitness centers and coffee and tea shops as the top types of services they wanted in the neighborhood. Currently, the South Avenue Corridor is home to a mix of retail shops and restaurants.

Researchers identified four sites — 133-135 South Ave.; 900 South Ave.; 1525, 1531 South Avenue; and 10 Valley Dr. — as priority areas that have the highest development potential in the corridor.

southavecorridor

Potential renovations near the Southwest Community Center. Courtesy of the South Avenue Corridor Economic Developmental Feasibility Study

“We engaged people to look up and down the corridor, and their analysis was that (the catalytic sites) had the most potential for private development and would have the ability to be anchor projects that would potentially trickle out to other developments in their block or two-block radius,” said Honora Spillane, the deputy commissioner of Syracuse’s Neighborhood and Business Development division, which helped conduct the study.

Susan Stearns, president of the Board of Directors and interim CEO of Syracuse Community Connections and Syracuse Model Neighborhood, said the organization will aide in the development of the corridor by focusing on public health issues.

“What we would like to do is eventually create a facility where we can put all of our (programs) under one roof and make it a place where people could get better medical care,” Stearns said. “In the long term, we would try to increase what we have now.”

The organization plans to build some restaurants and an affordable housing unit on at least one end of the corridor, Stearns added.  

Spillane said the city should continue to support the community as they find what’s best for them.

“We’re excited to work with the community, but we want to make sure it’s an organic, engaged, genuine process,” Spillane said.