Opponent preview: What to know about Western Michigan

Courtesy of WMU Athletics

Western Michigan had the 25th-best scoring offense in the country a year ago, averaging 33.9 points per game.

Syracuse kicks off its 2018 campaign on Friday at 6 p.m. at Western Michigan. Heading into Dino Babers’ first-ever year three as a head coach, the Orange aims to get out of neutral and avoid another 4-8 finish.

Here’s what to know about the Broncos.

All-time series: This is the first meeting between the two teams.

The Western Michigan report: The Broncos, notably, are coached by former Syracuse offensive coordinator Tim Lester. Though players are excited to go against a former coach, they want to avoid a similar situation to last year when Scott Shafer and Middle Tennessee beat SU in the Dome.

In 2017, Western Michigan racked up more than 2,600 yards and 26 touchdowns on the ground. Rushers averaged 4.8 yards per carry and ranked 21st nationally with 224.8 yards per game.

During the week, SU players noted how WMU loves the stretch play — running outside the tackles. In response, Syracuse worked on outside run fits all through camp and fully expect a heavy dosage of outside runs Friday.

The Broncos finished 114th nationally in total passing offense in 2017 after losing starting quarterback Jon Wassink to injury in late October. Led by its strong ground game, Western Michigan had the 25th-best scoring offense in the country a year ago, averaging 33.9 points per game.

Defensively, WMU also allowed 29.0 points per game, which ranked 81st. However, against Power 5 opponents, the Broncos surrendered 77 points in two games.

How Syracuse beats Western Michigan: Stop the run and air it out. This game has the makings of a Week 1 shootout. Despite questions at receiver, Eric Dungey has enough options around him to keep Syracuse’s offense moving forward, as long as his protection holds up. If the Orange slows the WMU rushing attack behind its talented defensive line, SU should be in good shape.

Player to watch: Jamauri Bogan, running back, No. 32

Last season, Bogan played second-fiddle to 1000-yard rusher Jarvion Franklin. Now, it’s Bogan’s turn to take the Broncos’ rushing attack on end. At 5-foot-8, 190 pounds, Bogan is a bowling ball coming out of the backfield. His diminutive stature keeps his pad level lower and makes Bogan harder to bring down. If he starts cutting loose, it could be a long opener for Syracuse.