THETA TAU

SU Greek life survey opens for undergraduate students

Hieu Nguyen | Asst. Photo Editor

The survey comes as part of a review of Greek life policies, activities and culture in the wake of the Theta Tau video controversy.

A survey gauging Syracuse University student satisfaction and thoughts on Greek life opened for undergraduates Monday as SU continues its review of fraternities and sororities.

Chancellor Kent Syverud announced the “top to bottom” review of Greek life policies, activities and culture in the wake of the Theta Tau video controversy in April 2018. 

The survey asks students anonymously whether they believe Greek organizations have a positive impact on the university, whether students feel comfortable interacting with Greek organizations and their members and whether students feel Greek organizations promote the health and well-being of their members, among other things.

The Greek life review began soon after the university expelled the Theta Tau engineering fraternity for participating in the creation of videos Syverud at the time called “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities.”

SU announced the review in April, along with mandatory implicit bias and inclusivity training for Greek organization members and advisers.

The review is likely to continue into the fall 2018 semester. Three consultants selected by SU, who have experience in Greek life administration and are members of Greek organizations themselves, will visit the university in September to help with the review.

Conduct violations among SU’s Greek organizations have been reported long before the Theta Tau video controversy.  

The university suspended or expelled four fraternities during the 2017-18 academic year for conduct violations that included hazing and behavior that threatened a student’s safety. Five additional fraternities are being sanctioned for conduct violations, according to SU’s Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.

According to FASA, the following Greek organizations are being disciplined for Code of Student Conduct violations:

• The Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity is on disciplinary probation through December 2019 and social probation through December 2018 for conduct violations related to hazing.
  • The Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity is on disciplinary probation through December 2019. The nature of the conduct violations is currently unclear.
  • The Psi Upsilon fraternity is on disciplinary reprimand through October 2018. The nature of the conduct violations is currently unclear.
  • The Sigma Chi fraternity is on disciplinary probation through May 2019. The nature of the conduct violations is currently unclear.
  • The Zeta Beta Tau fraternity is on disciplinary reprimand through December 2018. The nature of the conduct violations is currently unclear.

SU suspended or expelled the following Greek organizations during the 2017-18 academic year:

• The Delta Tau Delta fraternity was suspended in October 2017 for conduct violations that included hazing.
  • The Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity was suspended in February 2018 for conduct that threatened the safety of a student participating in the Greek organization’s new member process.
  • The Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity was suspended in April 2018 after a months-long hazing investigation.
  • The Theta Tau fraternity was permanently expelled in April 2018 after videos surfaced of people in the Greek organization’s house using racial and ethnic slurs and miming the sexual assault of a person with disabilities.

MORE COVERAGE: