Humor Column

Stranger in SU gear? Sacrifice your self-dignity to say hi

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

Whenever I’m out in public and I see someone wearing Syracuse University gear, I’m completely overwhelmed with a crippling excitement. I’m not sure why, but when I see someone with a bright orange shirt on, a switch flips in my brain and I need to make it known that I, too, am an Orange.

There’s just one thing, though: I don’t know how.

I know the normal way to do it is to just say, “Hi, do you go to Syracuse? Me too!” but before I can find those words, I typically panic and half-scream “Cuse!” before sprinting away.

cleanerswanted

After two years of awkward interactions, I’ve decided that I have had enough. So, I’m writing this not only for myself — so that I can sort out my own weird symptoms that WebMD won’t accept — but also for the Orange network that can’t seem to connect.

Or, if I am the only one who has this problem, that’s fine — this article is just for me. The rest of you can stop reading now.

Here it goes:

Hurl an orange at them

For this greeting, you will need an orange on you at all times, as well as perfect aim. If you’re lacking in the aim area, another option is to simply take a bite out of the orange, peel and all, while making eye contact with the person. They’ll know.

Talk loudly about Syracuse and hope they approach you

If you have nothing to say about Syracuse in the moment, just remember these words and put them into a jumbled sentence: Boeheim, Mumps, The Dome and Orange. If they don’t get that you’re from Syracuse after you repeat those four words, chances are they’re not actually a SU student.

Sing the alma mater

And by “alma mater,” I really mean “Wonderwall vs Trevor Remix,” or whatever song you heard the most at your local frat house.

Show them the Otto tattoo you have on your butt

Wait … not everyone has one?

Annabeth Grace Mann is a junior film major. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected].