ORIENTATION GUIDE 2018

Here’s a breakdown of the personal health resources available to SU students

The Counseling Center hired two new staff therapists this summer.

Syracuse University offers a variety of resources to students, faculty and staff seeking both mental and physical health care on campus.

Campus mental health resources are expanding as part of Invest Syracuse, a $100 million initiative intended in part to improve SU’s academic resources and student experience.

During the spring 2018 semester, the Counseling Center lengthened its hours and announced a plan to hire four new staff therapists and a psychiatrist. With the increase in staffing, there are additional plans to start using a Counseling Center satellite office. Two new staff therapists were hired during the summer as part of those efforts.

Here’s a breakdown of nearby locations to visit should you have any issues or inquiries regarding your personal health, whether you’re a first-year or returning student:

on-campus-mental-health-resources

Talia Trackim | Senior Design Editor

Counseling Center

200 Walnut Place

315-443-4715

Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays; 5 to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday to accommodate scheduled appointments; on-call therapist and crisis services available 24/7

The Counseling Center’s mission is to support and enhance student health and wellness through free mental health services for full-time students. Those services include advocacy, group and individual counseling, consultation and referrals. The center also provides 24/7 crisis support services.

The center is staffed with clinicians to assist students with concerns ranging from college life adjustments to mental health treatment, sexual and relationship violence and substance abuse.

Health Services

111 Waverly Ave.

315-443-9005; [email protected]

Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays; closed on weekends

SU Health Services works in collaboration with several other health, wellness and safety units on campus to assist students in maintaining good health. Students can receive immunizations and vaccinations, including the flu vaccine, at the Waverly Avenue building.

If a student visiting Health Services is told not to attend class due to an illness, the staff member who provided care may be able to provide an excuse note.

SU students’ mandatory Health and Wellness Fee covers the cost of the following services:

• Office visits
  • Pharmacy
  • Ambulance services
  • Medical transport services
  • Laboratory services
  • Nutrition counseling
  • Health education
  • Public health monitoring and oversight
  • Travel medicine

LGBT Resource Center

750 Ostrom Ave.

315-443-3983; [email protected]

Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. weekdays

SU’s LGBT Resource Center offers programming that serves community members with marginalized identities and sexualities. Events, programs and discussion groups for LGBTQ people and their allies are offered throughout the school year, including guest speakers, discussion groups and the annual Rainbow Banquet.

Jorge Castillo and Jo Wang were hired as the center’s assistant director and program coordinator, respectively, in June. The two join director khristian kemp-delisser in leading the center’s programming. The resource center itself is used as a community space, open for students to meet people and do homework.

Recreation Services

820 Comstock Ave.

315-443-4386

Hours: Varies by center

The Department of Recreation Services offers students a variety of ways to get exercise during all types of weather at SU. Fitness classes are open to all SU and SUNY-ESF students, faculty and staff with a valid SU or SUNY-ESF ID. Some fitness classes are offered for free, and other classes are available for a fee. Intramural sports, aquatic programs and late night recreation events at the gym are also offered.

North Campus has seven fitness centers currently open: Flanagan Gymnasium, Brockway Fitness Center, Graham Fitness Center, Ernie Davis Hall Fitness Center, Marion Fitness Center, Marshall Square Mall Fitness Center and the Women’s Building.

South Campus has four fitness facilities: the Goldstein Fitness Center, Skytop Recreation Area, Tennity Ice Skating Pavilion and the Outdoor Education Center and Challenge Course.

Office of Health Promotion

804 University Ave., Suite 006

315-443-7273; [email protected]

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the academic year

The Office of Health Promotion provides prevention and education services that focus on the health and well-being of all students, including services focused on sexual and relationship violence, mental health and substance use. These services include presentations and workshops that are meant to enhance students’ personal skills and safety.

The office offers more than a dozen programs aimed at both students and faculty and sponsors Take Back the Night, an annual rally against sexual assault and interpersonal violence.

Office of Multicultural Affairs

Schine Student Center, Suite 105

315-443-9676; [email protected]

Hours: Schine Student Center hours

The Office of Multicultural Affairs provides support and guidance to students, encouraging the expansion of a community that is respectful of differences and proactive against oppression, according to its website. They offer one-on-one support for students of color and reach out to all students who are struggling with issues of race and diversity.

The OMA sponsors learning communities and offers various programs based on leadership, mentoring, intergroup dialogues and spoken word poetry.

MORE STORIES FROM ORIENTATION GUIDE 2018: