Explainers

An explanation of the Campus Framework: SU’s 20-year infrastructure project

Campus Framework projects include the National Veterans Resource Complex, upgrades to the Carrier Dome and the Barnes Center at The Arch.

UPDATED: Tuesday, Aug. 28, at 1:40 a.m.

When Chancellor Kent Syverud came to Syracuse University, he introduced Fast Forward Syracuse, a decades-long initiative for the university that would serve as a framework for future administrative decisions.

Fast Forward Syracuse initially contained three parts: the Academic Strategic Plan, the Campus Framework and the Operational Excellence Program.

what is CF Clare Ramirez | Presentation Director

Background on the Campus Framework

Shortly after Syverud was inaugurated chancellor of Syracuse University, he made an announcement to the university community about the Fast Forward initiative.

Between then and now, open forums about the Campus Framework have been held both for university officials and the larger SU community.

Additionally, members of an advisory group appointed by Syverud have reached out to the campus community to guide details of the Campus Framework draft.

In 2017, the university released a second draft of the Campus Framework.

The 180-page Campus Framework draft detailed many other near-term projects, including the $62.5 million National Veterans Resource Complex, the $118 million Carrier Dome improvements and roof replacement, the Barnes Center at The Arch student life and recreation center and Waverly Avenue streetscape improvements.

Plans to renovate and make Schine Student Center and Bird Library “collaborative study spaces” with “increased physical connectivity” are also included in the Campus Framework. Several forums have been held to discuss the most effective way to implement these changes.

Some projects, such as the $6 million University Place promenade, have already been completed. The promenade opened in August 2016.

timeline1
timeline 2Clare Ramirez | Presentation Director

USE THIS advisory group 17Clare Ramirez | Presentation Director
How much will this cost SU?

The total cost of the Campus Framework is unknown. But here are the known costs for some Campus Framework projects based on past documents and reports:

At a forum in February 2017, Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly said funding for Campus Framework projects will come from tuition and fees, grants, contracts and donations.

New York state will provide some of the funding for the National Veterans Resource Complex and renovations to the Carrier Dome, university officials said in September 2016.

When protesting the University Place promenade, SU faculty members said the money the university is spending to build the promenade could be better used for other projects. For example, they said the $6 million could have been used instead to hire staff members or cover the funding cut from the Posse scholarship program.

at what costClare Ramirez | Presentation Director

The Daily Orange will continue to update this Explainer as new information about the Campus Framework is released.

Disclaimer: The Daily Orange leases a house on Ostrom Avenue owned by Syracuse University. As part of the Campus Framework, the university has proposed building student housing on Ostrom Avenue where The Daily Orange currently operates.