on campus

SU names 2 Provost Faculty Fellows

SU appointed the two previous Provost Faculty Fellows in 2016.

Michele Wheatly, Syracuse University’s vice chancellor and provost, has appointed professors Mary Graham and Kira Reed to serve as Provost Faculty Fellows, SU announced Thursday.

In those roles, the two professors will work to improve communication between faculty members and student leaders across campus and to develop university success models. Graham and Reed are current faculty members in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics and the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, respectively.

Both will serve as fellows until summer 2019, according to an SU News release.

As a fellow, Graham will work with the University Senate to implement campus-wide shared competencies, which are designed to ensure that all undergraduate students graduate with a defined set of reasoning skills and abilities.

The shared competencies model emerged as a priority in SU’s Academic Strategic Plan and the Middle States reaccreditation process, per the release. Graham will consult with members of the campus community to develop and finalize the model, which will be implemented in 2019.

Graham has been a Falk faculty member since 2012, and she’s published work on human resource management, public policy and employment discrimination and gender in employment. Graham began her appointment as a fellow on July 1 and will serve until June 30, 2019.

Reed will collaborate with the campus community and various committees to help develop a new first-year student experience. Reed currently serves as co-chair of the First Year Experience Initiative Steering Committee, where she’s helped define the student experience for first-year students and implemented a program to foster more culturally inclusive classrooms, according to the release.

She has been a member of the Whitman faculty since 2001. Reed began her appointment June 1 and will serve until May 31, 2019.

The university wants to create a first-year experience that “builds connections, promotes health and wellness, and fosters a respectful and inclusive campus community,” per the release. The shared competencies are meant to apply to students regardless of major and school or college affiliation.

nina-2-2