The Basketball Tournament

Kris Joseph’s impact on Syracuse extends past Boeheim’s Army

Kris Joseph played for Syracuse from 2008-2012.

It felt like 2008 all over again.

Kris Joseph was living on Syracuse’s campus and taking a shuttle to the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center. He recreated pick up games with former college teammates DaShonte Riley and James Southerland, and he took guilty-pleasure trips to Insomnia Cookies after workouts. On Wednesday night, he won a free Woodchuck hard cider during flip cup at Faegan’s.

“It was like I was back there all over again,” Joseph said, “And to be honest, I realized I didn’t fully take advantage of it when I was in school.”

Visiting SU was not new for Joseph, who spends the bulk of his summers working out in Manley Field House. But unlike the short three- to four-day visits he was accustomed to, this time, one of his longest stays at SU since playing for the Orange, was different.

Last week, Joseph wasn’t on campus to focus on improving his own game. Instead he trained with a collection of former teammates, good friends and “legends,” like Hakim Warrick. Joseph was there to rekindle, because this time, he would finally get his shot to play in Boeheim’s Army.

Eight years removed from his collegiate career, Joseph keeps in touch with the Orange from afar. And for the first time this summer, Joseph has an opportunity to extend his impact on SU up close for BA in The Basketball Tournament, a single-elimination, $2 million tournament.

July 21, 2018

Courtesy of The Basketball Tournament

Joseph knew as a 12-year-old that Syracuse was his dream school. He watched as Warrick and Carmelo Anthony led the Orange to a 2003 national championship. He dreamed of headlining a Jim Boeheim-led basketball team while his friends and family, who would only need to drive four hours to the Carrier Dome for home games, cheered him on.

But Montreal, Canada, wasn’t a gold-mine for top basketball recruits in the mid-2000s. Joseph was under recruited, he said. So he made sure SU knew his name.

In 2007, Joseph attended Midnight Madness in the Dome. Donte Greene hosted him as Boeheim and former assistant, and current Eastern Michigan head coach Rob Murphy tried to figure out Joseph’s fit into their system.

Joseph recalled watching a slow-moving fast break while sitting next to Greene. Arinze Onuaku ran to the bucket and leaped to catch an alley-oop. The result was a two-handed slam and a broken backboard. With shattered glass under the bucket, players ran onto the court with excitement. Joseph was in shock.

“I was hooked,” Joseph said, “I knew that would be my school of choice then.”

Boeheim offered Joseph a scholarship via phone call while Joseph was playing at Archbishop Carroll High School in Washington, D.C, where he played the final two seasons of his high school career. Between 2008 and 2012, Joseph led SU in scoring twice, won Big East Sixth Man of the Year and led the Orange to the Elite Eight.

July 21, 2018

Courtesy of The Basketball Tournament

After stints in the NBA with the Boston Celtics and Brooklyn Nets, Joseph elected to take his talents overseas to France and Italy. Being away from Syracuse didn’t stop Joseph from helping his program from across the globe.

Whenever SU targets a Canadian player, Joseph makes sure to get in contact with them.

“I’m going to give (Canadian recruits) my input,” Joseph said. “And I’ll always do that, no matter what. I’m always going to look after the school that gave me a chance.”

When Tyler Ennis, a native of Ontario, was going through his college selection process, Joseph reached out to him during events with Team Canada. In one instance, while Ennis was with his father, Tony, Joseph sold his case. He told Ennis about the benefits of the 2-3 zone, playing for a Hall of Fame coach and being close to home. Later that year, Ennis committed to SU.

“I would like to believe that,” Joseph said about Syracuse’s commitment to recruiting Canadian players being a testament to his impact. “It’s an easy pipeline. I like to think that I have a little something to do with it.”

cleanerswanted

Joseph calls himself “kind of a Montreal-legend.” He gets recognized often, sometimes for his playing days for the Orange, other times for the effect he’s had on Canadian hoops.

Now, Joseph looks on as ACC-All Freshman team member Oshae Brissett, a native of Toronto, becomes one of the leaders of SU. Like players before him, Joseph sees Brissett as another reason for SU to continue recruiting players from Canada.

After nearly a decade without wearing orange on his chest, Joseph suited up for Boeheim’s Army in Brooklyn this weekend. With two wins, including a 60-55 victory against Team Fancy on Sunday, BA moves onto the Super 16 in Atlanta.

“Headed back to cuse tonight,” Joseph said on his Twitter, “Who got an an extra room for ya boy? Lol.”

Another week in Syracuse for Joseph awaits. And, just like that, it’s 2008 all over again.