softball

3-time All-American Vanessa Shippy joins SU softball staff

Courtesy of Oklahoma State Athletics

Vanessa Shippy started every game of her career at Oklahoma State before wrapping up her career in spring 2018.

Syracuse softball has added three-time All-American and two-time Big 12 Player of the Year, Vanessa Shippy, to Mike Bosch’s coaching staff, SU Athletics announced Thursday.

“We are excited to have Vanessa join the Orange family,” said SU head coach Bosch in the release. “She is one of the best young softball coaches in the game, and she will make an immediate impact within our program.”

Shippy just completed her career at Oklahoma State this spring. She started every game of her career for the Cowboys, a streak of 234 consecutive games. She holds 12 school records, including highest on-base percentage (.613) and most runs scored in a single season (73). Originally from Idaho, Shippy was a four-time high school All-American and the 2014 Gatorade Idaho Softball Player of the Year.

In April, Shippy was drafted in the National Pro Fastpitch draft. She instead chose to sign with Scrap Yard Fastpitch, an independent pro softball team in Houston.

Shippy essentially takes the place on the staff of former SU assistant Alisa Goler. Penn State hired Goler as an assistant coach earlier this offseason. She joins fellow assistant coach Miranda Kramer and volunteer assistant Andrea Smith.