Gov Ball 2018

Non-musical entertainment at Governors Ball focuses on grassroots activism

LeighAnn Rodgers | Staff Photographer

Over the course of the weekend, it’s expected that patrons will put together about 1,500 nonperishable food kits at State Farm’s Neighborhood of Good activation. This is one of dozens of activities available for those who need a break from the concert crowds.

UPDATED: June 5, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.

NEW YORK – While hundreds of thousands of fans will attend Governors Ball this weekend to enjoy dozens of musical acts, there are plenty of activities available for the socially conscious and game-loving fans looking to take a break from the concert crowds.

The Gov. Ball website lists greater than two dozen activities and points of interest on Randall’s Island Park outside of their food, drink and music options. These include registering to vote with HeadCount, learning about gun safety with Everytown, making food kits with State Farm and engaging with the various lawn games and art installations.

State Farm gave Gov. Ball patrons several opportunities to help the community over the course of the weekend. Those interested could put together nonperishable food kits, help assemble ukuleles that will get donated to local schools or write letters of encouragement to at-risk youth that will be inserted into hygiene kits for distribution at local youth shelters, said Gov. Ball press department member Chris Vinyard in an email.

Approximately 1,500 kits will be put together by patrons over the three days, according to a Gov. Ball press release. State Farm’s Neighborhood of Good program helps people find ways to volunteer related to issues that matter to them in their respective communities.

Across from State Farm’s setup, several people at the HeadCount booth spent the weekend jumping up and down with signs encouraging people to “just f*cking vote.” A nonpartisan organization, HeadCount aims to use the power of music to increase voter registration and promote civic engagement.

The organization sends representatives to concerts and festival across the country to inform and engage fans. Its message centers around speaking to be heard, according to its website. HeadCount’s objective is to “help shape policy and culture in America by galvanizing the music community into a politically influential force,” per the website.

Volunteer Grace Mann said HeadCount has had a successful weekend, adding that the booth has helped attract a large number of 17- and 18-year-old patrons — right at the age where they can register to vote.

Next to HeadCount at Gov. Ball was the Everytown booth, which volunteers defined as a nonpartisan movement for Americans working to end gun violence.

“We want to build a safer America,” said Keni Nooner, a volunteer at the booth.

Nooner added that throughout the course of the weekend, patrons have overwhelmingly been interested in continuing the dialogue around gun violence. Booth volunteers handed out calling cards emblazoned with both statistics and a five-digit number those interested in joining the fight against gun violence can text.

Michael Martinez, another Everytown volunteer, added that this weekend is National Gun Violence Awareness weekend. This accounted for the orange theme of the booth — “like hunters in the woods,” he said, regarding the color.

More than four million Americans partake in Everytown’s movement, according to its website, all aiming to advocate for what they consider are life-saving changes to domestic gun policy.

Martinez said the organization is primarily legislative, but added Everytown also does things such as sending groups of gun violence survivors to affected areas after a shooting, giving victims a shoulder to lean on. The organization has attended the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival before, but Martinez said this is their first year at Gov. Ball.

“We’re very thankful to Governors Ball (for letting) us be here,” he said. “It’s been a great weekend.”

This post has been updated with additional reporting.