university politics

Here’s what Jim Boeheim, Kent Syverud and other top SU officials earned in 2016

Syracuse University’s endowment increased for the first time in two years.

Syracuse University men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim has historically been the university’s highest paid employee. But in 2016, the top earner was Louis Marcoccia, SU’s executive vice president and chief financial officer, who retired halfway through the year.

The salaries of SU’s top officials were disclosed Friday in SU’s 990 form, a document filed annually by nonprofit organizations.

Marcoccia made $3.2 million in 2016, bumping Boeheim to the No. 2 spot. The basketball coach’s salary was roughly $2.6 million, about $500,000 more than his 2015 salary.

Dino Babers earned about $2.3 million in his first year as head football coach, making him the university’s third highest paid employee. Babers’s salary was roughly $700,000 more than what former head coach Scott Shafer earned in 2015.

Chancellor Kent Syverud’s base salary for 2016 was just under $730,000, an increase of about $50,000. His 2016 salary is 26 percent less than the median for large, private Carnegie-classified R1 research institutions like SU, according to a document provided by Sarah Scalese, SU’s associate vice president for university communications.

Syverud will receive an extra $176,500 when his contract expires. In 2016, he also earned roughly $132,000 in non-taxable benefits, which includes the estimated value of his university housing in Syracuse and New York City. Syverud’s total compensation was 32 percent less than the median for large, private Carnegie-classified R1 research institutions, according to the document.

Other top earners include, in descending order by salary:

• Daryl Gross, SU’s former vice president and special assistant to the chancellor
  • Quentin Hillsman, women’s basketball head coach
  • Michael Hopkins, assistant men’s basketball coach
  • Elizabeth Liddy, interim vice chancellor and provost

SU’s 2016 endowment was $1,232,349,765, about a 9 percent increase from 2015. After two years of decreases, 2016 marked the endowment’s first year of growth.