Letters To The Editor

UNICEF at SU endorses Recognize Us movement

Dear Editor,

UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) at Syracuse University formally endorses the Recognize Us movement in response to the extremely disturbing Theta Tau videos. As an organization, our mission is to protect the human rights of children and their families.

Most importantly, we want to help create a positive childhood experience for every child, leading all children to greatness around the world and in the Syracuse area. We strongly encourage the peaceful and nonviolent tactics of the Recognize Us movement to exterminate the bigotry and hatred on SU’s campus.

We hope this movement will shift the negative attitudes people have against particular groups on campus. Also, we stand with the members of the movement as they challenge SU to use their institutional power to enhance the voices of the wounded, to provide them with support and love and to make the world more inclusive.

We believe their work is crucial to protect the most significant right of any child: having a sense of belonging in the world instead of experiencing the evil types of -ism no child deserves to face. We wholeheartedly believe in their mission to obtain equality and complete inclusion on SU’s campus through peaceful protest and practices.

The Recognize Us movement has UNICEF at SU’s continuous support. Most importantly, we strongly encourage the movement to keep challenging SU until their demands have been met.

Sincerely,

UNICEF at SU