UNIVERSITY POLITICS

SU elects new Board of Trustees members

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

The five new Board of Trustees members were announced in a Monday SU News release.

Syracuse University’s Board of Trustees has elected five new members, including the president of Comcast Cable, SU announced Monday.

David Watson, one of the new members, currently serves as the president and chief executive officer of Comcast Cable, per an SU News release. Watson is a member of the Newhouse Advisory Board, per the release.

The other four appointees are also former or current business executives.

Michael Newhouse, another new Board of Trustees member, is the grandson of Samuel Irving Newhouse Sr., for whom the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications is named. Newhouse currently serves as a senior executive officer and director at Advance/Newhouse Communications, per the release.

Elisabeth Fontenelli, a Class of 1986 graduate of Newhouse and the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, retired as a managing director at the investment management firm Goldman Sachs in April 2017, per the release. Fontenelli is a member of Whitman’s advisory council, according to the release.

A member of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs Advisory Board, Jeffrey Scruggs is a current managing director at Goldman Sachs & Co., per the release. Scruggs and Robbin Mitchell, his wife, established the Otey and Barbara Scruggs Scholarship Fund in spring 2017. The scholarship, named after Scruggs’ parents, provides funding for Maxwell graduate students.

Harold Fetner serves as president and chief executive officer of Fetner Properties, per the release. Fetner Properties develops luxury real estate in New York City. According to the release, Fetner graduated from Whitman in 1983 and now serves on the school’s advisory council and the Whitman Real Estate Advisory Board. The Fetner Program Fund Scholarship awards Whitman students pursuing sustainability, per the release.