Summer Guide 2018

Local ice cream shops offer sweet place to cool down this summer

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

The long-awaited summer months have finally returned to Syracuse. One of the perfect ways to celebrate is with a local scoop of ice cream. Here are a few ice cream shops in and near the city.

Bailey’s Dairy Treat

Location: 7100 S Salina St., Nedrow (not open for season yet)
Monday – Friday 8 to 10:45 a.m. Hours will be extended for the summer.
About: The ice cream shop isn’t open for summer just yet, but start preparing for National Ice Cream Month and National Ice Cream Day in July. Bailey’s features ice cream from Turkey Hill and Gifford’s, according to their Facebook page. The location offered a trivia deal to customers a few summers ago and donated a portion of proceeds to the American Cancer Society in 2016.

baileys2

Courtesy of Bailey’s Dairy Treat

Broadway Cafe & Arctic Island

Location: 210 West Seneca Tpke., Syracuse
Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
About: Broadway Cafe & Arctic Island offers ice cream, deli sandwiches and coffee. The cafe sells both soft and hard ice cream — all hard ice cream is homemade. General Manager Nathaniel Palumbo’s favorites are the homemade coconut almond fudge ice cream and the watermelon sherbet with chocolate chips. Popular soft serve twists include the strawberry-pistachio and black raspberry-orange sherbet twists.

Across the street from Arctic Island is Meachem Field, home to sports games all summer. Onondaga Creek runs next to the store, which Palumbo said he can see from his office window.

broadway-arctic8

Courtesy of Broadway Cafe & Arctic Island

Kenny’s Corner Ice Cream

Location: 7575 Buckley Road #210, Syracuse
Monday – Friday 4 to 9 p.m., Saturday and Sunday noon to 9 p.m.
About: Kenny’s has a new addition to its location: a Fusion 8, an ice cream machine that can make eight different flavors. Home to the original “tuberry twist”, the ice cream spot now offers coconut, pistachio, cheesecake and “mochachino,” among other flavors.

“We can do flavors that are fused into the mix instead of sprayed on, so it’s a more consistent flavor through, and we can offer that many more flavors,” Owner Michael Damiano said.

kennys-corner5

Courtesy of Kenny’s Corner Ice Cream

Sno Top Ice Cream

Location: 315 Fayette St., Manlius
Monday – Sunday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
About: Since 1957, Sno Top has served the residents of Manlius award-winning ice cream. Items on the menu include soft serve, flurries, sundaes, sodas, homemade black raspberry ice cream and the well-known “trash can sundae.” This sundae is comprised of ice cream topped with peanut butter, chocolate syrup, gummy worms, whipped cream and candy eyes, served in a plastic mini trash can. Sno Top even also serves dairy-free and no-sugar-added flavors.

snotop4_jessicasheldon_sp

Jess Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Vicky’s Tasty Treats

Location: 680 Old Liverpool Road, Liverpool
Monday – Friday 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., Saturday noon to 10:30 p.m., Sunday 3 to 10:30 p.m.
About: Two-time winner of the Y94 Best of the Burbs Best Ice Cream in Liverpool, Vicky’s is an old-fashioned ice cream drive-in. The shop is best known for their homemade orange sherbet, but they do themes for different holidays — they created a strawberry shortcake for Mother’s Day this year, said Vicky’s employee Alan King. The shop opened back in April and will stay open through early October of this year.

vickys2

Courtesy of Vicky’s Tasty Treats