Summer Guide 2018

Hit the trails this summer at some of central New York’s best hiking spots

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

This summer, to unwind and take in some of the best natural sights central New York has to offer, hit the trails. Here are some of Syracuse’s best summer hiking spots.

Green Lakes State Park

Located in Fayetteville, Green Lakes State Park is surrounded by 15 miles of trails and is a key tourist attraction for locals coming to glimpse 15,000 years’ worth of glacial remains, said Courtney Burdin, a park representative. The surrounding beaches also make for a popular spot, especially on summer holidays such as Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.

The rowboat and kayak rentals are popular commodities, as well as the 18-hole Green Lakes State Park Golf Course. The park hosts events throughout the summer, including an astronomy program to catch a glimpse of Jupiter in orbit.

Beaver Lake Nature Center

With nearly 700 acres of natural woodland, this Baldwinsville nature center makes hiking trails and natural thrills readily available to locals. Along with nine miles of trails, the area features more than 200 species of birds and more than 800 varieties of plants, as well as a 200-acre glacial lake visitors can stroll around on foot, or boat across in the park’s canoe rentals.

Beaver Lake Nature Center’s mixed terrain provides the perfect opportunity for less experienced hikers to get a feel of the landscape.

“Just take it slow, start on flat terrain and slowly build your endurance,” said Armando Villa-Ignacio, a park naturalist at the center. Villa-Ignacio said when it comes to hiking, patience is key.

Besides hiking, the center hosts a variety of events, including horseback riding, outdoor yoga, guided walks and family fishing days.

Onondaga Lake Park

Dubbed “the Central Park of central New York,” Onondaga Lake Park is 7 1/2 miles long and features attractions including the Onondaga Lake Skatepark for skateboarders and BMX bikers, the Wegmans Good Dog Park and the Salt Museum, which honors Syracuse’s history as the “Salt City.”

The park is composed of four main trails for visitors looking to stretch their legs: the East Shore Recreational, Shoreline Walking Trail, Lakeland Nature and the West Shore.

Running 2 1/2 miles in length, the paved East Shore Recreational Trail is perfect for inline skaters and bicyclers. Walking pedestrians must make room for bikers, and dogs aren’t allowed on the trail during the in-season months of April to October.

The Shoreline Walking Trail is most ideal for walkers and runners looking to take their workouts outdoors. Two miles in length and stroller and wheelchair-accessible, only foot traffic is permitted.

If you’re interested in a peaceful and reflective walk through nature, the Lakeland Trail’s quiet solitude is for you. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the pathway, and skaters and bicyclists aren’t allowed to have pets, making for a peaceful escape from Syracuse city life.

For those interested in hiking, West Shore Trail is best to get up close and personal with nature. This paved trail snakes its way through 4 1/2 miles of woodlands, making it a safe and ideal loop for bicyclers and runners while giving visitors a firsthand look at Onondaga County’s rich natural history. With views of Onondaga Lake and the city skyline, take advantage of the benches along the route to sit back, relax and take in a summer sunset.